Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Samoca 35 Super - film rewind Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Samoca 35 Super - film rewind « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berndtotto
Tinkerer
Username: Berndtotto

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 03:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased a vintage Samoca 35 Super ( most likely from the year 1956 ), exactly the model, shown here: http://www.krphoto.com/samoca35super.html

It seems to work still fine and I shot my first testfilm ... but ... after rewinding the exposed film, the film perforation was completely disrupted ( shredded ). Usually the sprocket gear is getting loose, when turning a lever into "R" position, but that does not happen on my Samoca.

The guy in the camera shop said, that the camera is broken and needs to be repaired, which might be the case ... but I want to get sure before disassembling the whole camera for trying to repair something what is actually a normal issue.

I mean, it is certainly not a normal issue, that the film becomes ripped, but could it be possible, that both knobs ( film winding and rewinding ) need to be moved for rewinding the film ? I couldn't find any instruction manuals for this camera ( just one Samoca 35 II, which is a different model ).

Any ideas ? Any help would be much appreciated !!!

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 38

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the lever on top is in the Rewind position, the counter sprocket and the advance knob should turn freely together in the direction opposite to that of film advancing.

Berndtotto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Connealy !!! Are you sure ? They don't turn freely together on my camera. The only thing, that changes ( if the lever is in Rewind position ) is, that the film winding knob can be turned backwards ( which is normaly impossible ).

I could only find one post in another forum, giving a hint on that issue, but I don't know, if this guy described the normal functionality or if his camera does have the same malfunction as mine:
http://nelsonfoto.com/SMF/index.php?topic=22744.0
He says in there:
"I've just refurbished a Samoca Super, that with the rangefinder. I even discovered that by rewinding film using both knobs together avoids having the sprocket teeth rip the film rebate to hell."

Connealy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my Super, twiddling the counter sprocket in the rewind direction also makes the advance knob turn in the same direction. I have not had a problem with tearing of the film on rewinding.

Berndtotto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot for this information. Then it seems, that I need to disassemble it for checking what is wrong :-(( Did you get the camera in good condition or did you have to do some repair by yourself ? It can help, if people already have some experiences or found some repair tutorials, pictures, etc.

I just found one for the older Samoca models
http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=samoca35
but the Super looks completely different. I already noticed that, because I started to adjust the rangefinder. But you don't need to open the body for that - just removing the cover on the top.

The rangefinder is constructed in a special way too. I understood, how it works meanwhile, but it's damn difficult to get it fixed perfectly.

Connealy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had to clean the glass on mine; that was about it.
It is a great little camera, and well worth an effort to fix. There is a page about my Super on my web site and some pictures on my blog.
http://mconnealy.com/vintagecameras/samoca/index.html
http://connealy.blogspot.com/2010/11/smokin-samoca.html

Berndtotto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will definitely try to fix it ... even I am still a little bit scared, because I am not an expert in repairing cameras yet ... and it is some kind of "blind surgery" if there are no information about how everything is actually constructed ( some springs jump out while opening something and you have no idea, where it has been placed before, you touch some srew, which you shouldn't, because it becomes unbelievable difficult to re-adjust later, etc. ).

BTW, your HP is great. I actually already found it ... probably the only one about the Samoca Super at all. Seems to be a quite rare camera, but a really beautiful one.

I'll give it a try and will make a documentation later. It might help other people then, fixing something on it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration