Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica FX-2 focus problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica FX-2 focus problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tach
Tinkerer
Username: Tach

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I recently bought a mint Yashica FX-2 with a 50mm f/1.7 ML lens. According to the seller, the camera was bought in the 70's, used once in a trip, and went into a cupboard until four years ago, when it had a CLA and seals replaced. Then, back into the cupboard.

I forgot to check focus at infinity, and when I got home I realised that I can't get a sharp image on the viewfinder at infinity.

Also, when I focus to an object at a known distance, say 3m, measured by tape, the focus ring on the lens says that it's at 10m.

In order to check focus on the film plane, I taped a clear negative with some lines scribbled on it on the film rails in the back, and checked focus with a known good camera+lens (my F3 and nikkor 105), according to https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/collimator.html.

Problem is, focus is perfect at infinity on the film plane :/. So, it seems that it is a problem on the focusing screen seating.

So,
i) Do you see any problems with my analysis? Am I overlooking something?

ii) What should be my first steps to solve this? Is it doable for a beginning tinkerer with time on his hands?

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 50

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi back,

Another failure source would be the mirror. If the angle of the mirror is not 45 degrees, you will get uneven focus along the vertical axis of the finder image.

I don't have a FX-2, but the FX-1 should be similar:

Removing and reseating the focussing screen might be possible through the lens mount, check for small screws in the upper left and right corner of the lens mount.

Re-adjusting the mirror position would be more work, I can't see an adjustment inside the mirror box.

HTH,

Dirk

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 128

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"i) Do you see any problems with my analysis? Am I overlooking something?"

Your mirror could be out of alignment. The focus would be correct at the film plane, but incorrect when looking through the viewfinder. I'm not sure if the FX-2 has an adjustment for the mirror height.

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 23

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On this model, and several other Yashica-Contax models, the mirror angle is set by a stop in the mirror box on the rewind side. There is a plastic bushing on the end of it. If it goes missing the mirror will sit too low. I'd check that first as that is the easiest to inspect. The adjustment for the stop is on the inside of the mirror box which requires some disassembly to access.

If it had a "CLA" it's possible that the tech removed the focusing screen holder as the mirror bumper is attached to that, which is held in place by three screws accessible at the front of the mirror box. So it's possible that the focusing screen is upside down or otherwise skewed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration