Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning the taking lens on an Ikofle... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Cleaning the taking lens on an Ikoflex Ic « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffk
Tinkerer
Username: Jeffk

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just found this site, great stuff! Nice to see I'm not the only old camera nut around, I have a nice little collection of old film cameras that use now and then, in addition to my Kyocera/Contax cameras that I do most of my shooting with. Mostly old Zeiss, Contax, Leica, Minox, including a 122 roll-film Nixe from the late '20's that can still produce very nice poster-size B&W landscapes.

So I see now, probably, why the one roll of film I put through my Zeiss Ikoflex Ic produced less-than-stellar quality photos - the taking lens appears to be clouded inside. This isn't surprising, the camera has a faint mold odor from poor storage by the previous owner(s) (though it is otherwise pristine and as-new), but I can't figure out how to get the lens apart. This is the 75 mm Novar lens. There is a ring at the front that I could possibly remove with a spanner of some kind, but it's tight and a small screwdriver doesn't do it. I tried unscrewing the whole chrome rim, but it doesn't budge. Has anyone here tackled this problem on this camera?

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 115

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With an Ikoflex 1a the whole frontlens can be removed by turning the outer ring counterclockwise. See here : Tessar removed

You can use a rubber tool as seen in one of the other images in that Flickr set.

The Namering of the Frontlens can also be removed, turn ccw with a rubber tool. You are then able to remove the frontglass and clean the inside.

Remember this information is for an Ikoflex 1a with a Tessar lens. I don't know if the 1c is exactly the same.

Jeffk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent, thank you for the tip - the lens does unscrew with help from a rubber gripper. Next task, get the front ring off, since that seems to be the only way to access the surfaces between the lenses (looks like there are two).

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 117

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done Jeff. First step finished !

Here a photo shot just after i removed the namering and frontglass of my Tessar.

Ikoflex 1a Removed Frontglass

Jeffk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks very similar to my Novar, except my chrome barrel is not knurled. Is there a source for an appropriate spanner wrench to remove the namering? I tried various kluges that I could think of, and I'm usually pretty good at coming up with good kluges, but I can't get it to budge and I don't want to get violent with it and damage it.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 118

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I removed mine with the rubber tool visible in my Flickr set. There were no slits or holes in the Namering so a spanner couldn't be used.

Jeffk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like there are all kinds of commercial adjustable spanners available, but a cut piece of paper shows that the crest of the lens element is below the level of the notches in the ring, meaning I can probably get by with a small aluminum bar cut to the right length and end thickness to span between the notches. More work than I anticipated, but hey, that's part of the fun! That tool will cost me zero since I have the stock, saw and dremel grinder in the garage.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 120

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff, try with a rubber tool first. Mine was a rubber doorstopper (cost 2 Euro) which is partly hollow at the underside so it doesn't touch the lensglass.

You can use a spanner of course but when it slips you get nasty scratches. Also protect the glass when using a spanner i.e. with a piece of gaffertape.

Jeffk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ring absolutely would not budge without the spanner, but it worked out fine! I found a steel bracket of some kind in the garage and made a spanner out of it, cleaned up the lens (mold was inside the front lens element), and put it all back together again. Lost a tiny bit of paint around the notches, and touched it up with some flat black paint and a fine brush. Looks great, thanks for the tips!
pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
pic5
pic6
pic7

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 121

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 04:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the pics. Nice collection !

Tore_hegdahl
Tinkerer
Username: Tore_hegdahl

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
I am searcing for advice on how to clean the release lever mecanism in my Ikoflex 1c. The mecanism is so dirty the lever must be lifted manually after each exposure. If the process is logical and doesn't require special tools (or special skills)I could try my hand on it, but not without some piece of advice.
Tore Hegdahl, Bergen, Norway

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice job Jeff, a fine collection too.

I really should add an Ikoflex to mine one of these days. Though I've set my sights on a III, which are of course the most expensive of the series :-(

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration