Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fungus in Canon FDn lens? if so, wha... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Fungus in Canon FDn lens? if so, what to do? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Deurges
Tinkerer
Username: Deurges

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought online a perfectly looking Canon FDn 35mm F2.8. I received it today, and while it looks like new, I see what I think might be fungus. Whatever it is, it seems to be in the very back glass.

Can anyone confirm this for me? What should I do if it is fungus?

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4854/canonfd35mm2.jpg
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3339/canonfd35mm.jpg

Thanks!

Deurges
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are 2 holes in the piece that has the glass with the strange formations around, I looked into my broken 28mm, and it also has them. I quickly made a tool to put it inside and twisted and it was a screw in part. It should be the same on?the 35mm, right?

Jeffk
Tinkerer
Username: Jeffk

Post Number: 40

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried cleaning it with lens tissue or cloth and fluid? I would try that before starting to take apart the lens.

Deurges
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeffk,

It's definitely inside. Yesterday I made a quick tool that fits inside the 2 holes, and it opened, so later today I'll check the inside of this piece, which I think is the problematic one, if not, it's going to be the other part of that piece.

Can I use a Q-Tip with lens cleaning fluid to clean?

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 217

Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although I have never tried the technique, I have heard that vinegar destroys the fungi.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 181

Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also nose oil, and athletes foot cream.

PF

Mr_tomcat123
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_tomcat123

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're referring to those weird stuff around the edge of the glass, I'd say don't worry about it.
Many lenses project an image circle much bigger than the actual film area, so I doubt if you can see the fungi on your pictures.
And obviously, stopping down a stop and your aperture blades would be covering the fungi
if you're really worried about it, the Canon FD mount is long dead, and the 35 2.8 is a cheap lens so finding another one shouldn't be difficult.
Of course I understand how nice it is to own flawless glass (and how much fun it is to fix your own equipment! :D)... so if you feel like it, go ahead and fix it. Don't forget to let us know what removes the fungi! i have a few lenses with lots of fungi too! :-(

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 56

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a plenitude of info on fungus plus all sorts of related topics in this forum's archives. Some do know how to draw profit from this source of information, others do not.
Long-term members may feel like persistently holding hands when newbies keep asking the same questions over and again.
Is there life after breakfast (RDD)? Yes, obviously there is.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 271

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Due to micro 4/3 adapters and a certain amount of faddishness, the price of FD lenses has gone up a bit in the past year.

Personally, I don't mind repeating information if it helps. In this instance, I don't have anything to offer as the only lens I ever had with fungus (which was very bad), I dumped in the trash immediately.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 163

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was rather surprised to read in the MF Lenses forum recently that cold cream actually works very well for fungus removal. You slather it on, and let it sit for a day or so, and apparently the fungus comes right off. Haven't tried it yet, though, so I'm just passing it along.

I have successful removed light to moderate levels of fungus infestations with my thumb and fingers. I'll clean my hand to remove any possibility that I've got grit imbedded in the whorls of my fingerprints, and then I'll transfer oil from somewhere else, like my nose, onto my thumb and fingers, and then I just rub the snot out of the fungus. It takes some pretty firm rubbing, but this is usually enough to remove it completely. Last time I did this, which was less than a week ago, I successfully removed a few fungus spots from the interior of a Tamron 500mm mirror, from both the front and rear elements. Fortunately, Tamron did not put the mirror coating on the front surface of the rear element. The fungus was minor enough such that the coatings weren't damaged either.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too worried about damaging the lens if the fungus isn't too severe. Just give it a try; chances are you won't hurt anything.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration