Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Adjusting an Oly OM-1n's Meter? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Adjusting an Oly OM-1n's Meter? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 194

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last month I posted a request here for help with getting a dead OM-1n's meter working again. Well, I don't know what happened, but I just picked it up again, installed a fresh battery, and now the meter's working. But it's off, reading way slower than it should. I hold it up to a 60 watt lamp from about 2 feet away, and with an f/2.8 lens for it to look through and wide open, and with the ASA set to 100, I have to set the shutter speed to 1 second to center the needle. I haven't bothered to check this against a hand-held meter yet, but I know it's way off.

I found a repair manual on the 'net and downloaded it, and I'm not having a whole lot of luck so far. There are a couple of tables of information on checking accuracy using an apparently proprietary light source, but most of the rest of the section for the meter deals with replacing components. I couldn't find anything about meter adjustment. I was hoping it would have something simple like a couple of adjustment pots or similar.

And just to make things a bit more interesting, I no longer own any OM mount lenses, so I'm unable to mount a lens that will engage the aperture linkage. I have an few old M42 lenses that, if I just hold them up to the lens mount, the registration distance is almost correct, so at least I can use them for their aperture values, albeit with no aperture link-up.

So any suggestions? As always, your help is appreciated.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 141

Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The OM-1 does have some meter adjustments but they are mechanical, not electrical. The adjustments include an eccentric on the galvanometer and adjustments on the meter pulley and coupling gear. If you need a linearity adjustment, you will need to change fixed resistors values. But in your case, I wonder if what you are seeing is actually just the mechanical movement of the meter. If a meter is that far off, adjustment may not solve the problem. Is the meter working electrically? If the meter is not working electrically, then check the usual suspects: battery box wiring or poor ground to meter movement. Also, if the metering string comes off the pulleys it can cause meter issues.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 195

Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No it's not the mechanical movement. The meter is working electrically and it's definitely responding to light. The needle climbs and falls as I move the camera toward and away from a light source.

I recall seeing a diagram showing the eccentric you mention. I'll have to go back and study the repair guide some more.

BTW, the Oly OM-1 repair manual we have here consists of four exploded diagrams, and they are of mechanical parts only. If the site owner/moderator is interested in adding it to the collection here, or if anyone else might want a copy, the .pdf I d/l'd can be found here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/47180100/Olympus-OM-1-Service-Manual

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 268

Posted on Friday, January 06, 2012 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny, there is a thread on APUG about your meter. The last page of the trhread has a diagram n how to adjsut the meter electricaly via resistors...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/99578-olympus-om-1n-exposure-meter-conversio n.html

Hope this helps

Brcamera
Tinkerer

Post Number: 142

Posted on Friday, January 06, 2012 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cooltouch, before going any further, you really will need to get an Olympus lens to check and certainly to calibrate your meter. The OM-1 needs to have the body aperture coupling lever engaged with the lens for the meter to operate. There is no provision for stop down metering since Olympus didn't have to deal with backward compatibility of lenses.

I still believe that if your meter is off that much, it is mechanical and not electrical unless you have a component breakdown.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 199

Posted on Friday, January 06, 2012 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, BR. What is the chance do you think that the reason why it's reading so low is because I'm just pointing the camera body at a light source instead of having a lens mounted to it? Maybe it's fine and that's all it needs?

Brcamera
Tinkerer

Post Number: 143

Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feel that would be a strong possibility!
Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration