Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Do the Nikon FG-20 and FG share the s... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Do the Nikon FG-20 and FG share the same shutter? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 144

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 03, 2012 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The reason I ask, is that I have recently acquired an FG, and the shutter sounds distinctly different than the FG-20 which I have had for years. The FG sounds more like the FA, with a "shhhh" sound at the end.
I assumed that because the FG and FG-20 were so similar that they would have the same shutter.
Does my FG sound different because it needs servicing (like the Canon squeak)?

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 73

Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 02:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got an FG which makes a sort of whirring noise when you take a picture - it sounds a bit odd but it works fine.

John_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 74

Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thinking about it again - I had an FG20 some time back, I can't remember noticing anything unusual about the operating noise.

George
Tinkerer
Username: George

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too have a FG with a distinctly strange sounding shutter. A 'wheeze' as the shutter opens and close. I have a FE and the two sound very different.

It sounds rather similar to a Canon AE-1.

Is this normal for this camera?

John_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 109

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My FG also makes this noise. I think it's normal.

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 84

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe that that the FG has an additional damper in the mirror mechanism that changes the sound. The FG20 and EM lack this refinement. Note that the self timer can be used to minimize vibration in the EM/FG family, since it releases the mirror before the timed delay on the shutter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration