Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Moskva 5 shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Moskva 5 shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hobbes
Tinkerer
Username: Hobbes

Post Number: 24

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Moskva 5 in very nice cosmetic condition that has a problem with its shutter. About 30% of the time the shutter blades remain partially open when I shoot the camera at 1/100 or 1/250 of a second. (The blades always close at the slower speeds.)

Is the problem likely to be a dirty shutter mechanism or dirty shutter blades?

Lastly, I found some very detailed teardown notes on the Moskva 5 at http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/Moskva5.html but I was wondering if I could do the necessary cleaning without taking the shutter off of the camera. Thanks for your help.

Rob

Moskva 5

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 268

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> Is the problem likely to be a dirty shutter mechanism or dirty shutter blades?

yes.

>I was wondering if I could do the necessary cleaning without taking the shutter off of the camera.

no.

Even if you dissolve the old grease, as soon as the solvent evaporates, the grease will stick something else together. You may be lucky and get rid of this specific problem, but it's like banging on the tv to get the picture back.

Marek

Hobbes
Tinkerer
Username: Hobbes

Post Number: 26

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got into the shutter this weekend, cleaned it and reinstalled it on the camera, but the problem persisted. I took it off the camera again and had a look at the shutter blades more closely. I think the problem was that the screws holding the blades were too loose and at the higher speeds the little post that fits in the actuator ring was popping out. I tightened them and now the shutter works fine. Unfortunately I messed up the rangefinder alignment and had to spend a good portion of the day fixing the vertical alignment. the only thing left to do is make sure I have infinity focus on the lens.

Thanks,
Rob

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration