Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 GSN shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica Electro 35 GSN shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm new to this, I got the Camera on ebay, the battery wouldn't power up, I followed Matt Denton's basic tear apart, soldered a wire back to the battery case it powers up now. Problem is, no matter what ASA or Auto, B, Flash setting I use, the yellow light comes on and the shutter stays open until I release it (like B) the only thing I can think of is, when I was fiddling around the brown wire for flash fell off of the Flash plug, I didn't hook it back up figuring I would never use the flash Could that cause it?

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I read up on the POD, mine was non existent, I replaced it, and I think I have the shutter rods adjusted correctly. It is working again to some extent, it is being very fickle in that one minute the yellow light comes on and the shutter stays open for 4-5 seconds (pointing camera at my work light, lens wide open, ASA 400) the next minute, same scenario, it works correctly. If I tap up and down on the shutter release button (after releasing shutter, before winding) it goes back and forth.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 155

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could be dirt on the contacts. The shutter button moves electrical contacts up and down across contacts on a circuit board. If these are dirty, it may cause the intermittant problems you describe. Also, adjusting the rods can e very finnicky. You may want to double check that they are correct.

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is that the contacts visible just above the POD? I followed the instructions on Peter Robinson's page here: http://www.monopix.co.uk/yashicarods.shtml to adjust the rods. I got the shutter and latch simultaneous, I only "hear one click" so I assume the smaller screw rod is set correctly...

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2012 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rods are good, still intermittent as to slow or normal, the POD is a perfect 2mm. I've seen a schematic as to where the shutter rod 'contacts' are, is there a way to clean them without totally tearing apart the camera?
I even moved the ASA setting around to 1000 a second and pointed it right at my light, it had me stop down (red arrow) took a shot, it was good, it fired perfect 3-4 times, set it down, tried again, back to yellow arrow and shutter open 4-5 seconds with a little whine noise like a flash warming up?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 264

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2012 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had an MG-1 with dirty contacts, and every once in a while it would sound like someone was arc welding inside it.

PF

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 156

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been a while since I've had mine apart, so I can't remember how to access the contacts. You will probably have to remove the lens and lens board to get at them. They are located in the same vicinity as the rods and POD.
The whine noise seems to be a normal quirk for this camera when using long exposures. At least the copies that have passed through me have all made the same noise.

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's midnight, after countless hours,(total) I'm sitting here staring at a "brand new" camera..LOL I did take the bull by the horns and tear into it, skin and lens/plate came off, the contacts (Gold) looked spotless but I cleaned them anyway. The big trick I think though is, it wasn't working on a 2mm POD so I found a slightly larger and slightly smaller thickness. The thicker one didn't work so I put in the thinner one (1.9mm?) and it is working good.

I could see that while it was apart, with the 2mm (and 2.2mm) pad the 'forks' of the contacts were touching an area of the contact 'slide area' too low, with the thinner pad it got up where I believe it is supposed to be. Maybe if someone out there is having a bad go at it, try a thinner pad, I'm talking just the thickness of the line on my ruler (1.8-1.9mm) Hope this is closed, let you know

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration