Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Where to buy replacement capacitor fo... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Where to buy replacement capacitor for Minolta x300? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Itsmejuliette
Tinkerer
Username: Itsmejuliette

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

My Dad handed me his old Minolta x-300 which hasn't been used for years, and it doesn't work. The symptoms are:

Shutter button won't trigger anything
Shutter cock won't move past 30 degrees

The batteries are brand new, the metering lights show up, everything is fine except it won't take a picture.

Anyway, after much researching on this forum I've decided that the capacitor needs replacing. I opened the base of the camera and the old capacitor has one slightly yellow-y leg.

My question is this: where do I buy the right capacitor?

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron but I really have no clue about capacitors/electronics, so I would appreciate if you could present me with an exact link rather than a list of the correct specifications.
I was also confused as I've seen people seem to buy capacitors with a higher voltage - is that right? Should it be replaced with one that is exactly the same or a "better" one?

Thank you, it really would be wonderful to have this camera working again!

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 133

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.micro-tools.de/

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 134

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Electronic-Parts/Capacitors/ (more specifically).

Basically, look at the value written on the capacitor and go to any electronics part shop.

If you use a battery with a higher voltage than it is supposed to have (use a battery tester) it will revive the camera. For example, the battery tests at 1.6 volts instead of the rated 1.5 volts. Usually cheap brand x batteries are prone to be higher voltage. It may be your camera works if you let the camera sit for a few minutes off then on to let the capacitor time to reform after installing a fresh battery which is, in my opinion, often the problem.

Itsmejuliette
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've tried leaving it on for fifteen minutes and still have the same problems.

Thank you for the link - I've already been to that website and it's good, I just don't know exactly which one to buy. Does anyone know the actual exact capacitor that will be compatible with my camera?

Here is a thread from a while ago that talks about using a different voltage capacitor to the original: https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/17582.html?1263511239

Thank you!

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 266

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The part number for a pack of 5 (you will need to replace the C9 and C10 caps) is 9531-1575-61. They are bigger than the blue tantalums on the camera, as they are the cannister type. I saw a site once before where the owner put the capacitors in a place they would be out of the way, then ran wire extensions to where they were supposed to connect to the flex board.

PF

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 280

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The X-300/370 is said to have one capacitor only. Problem with shows usually the following way: LEDs in the finder turn on but as soon as you try to trip the shutter they turn off and will only turn on again when you turn the camera off and on.
Here is an article with photos and possible sources.
http://www.twid.de/x700/#x300
My Seagull made X-300 clone had the problem described above and I had the capacitor replaced with a 220µF 10V capacitor as described in the article I linked to (the one from Conrad). The 220mF value seems to be more important than the voltage. My camera works fine for several years now.

If the problem manifests differently you might try to reset it before you address the capacitor.
Have a look here:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/resetcamera.html
My original Minolta X-300 did not shoot when I got it. Reason was that the lever the red arrow points to (the lower one) did not return fully to it's postion. It must be absolute parallel with the camera body as shown in the pic. I loosened the screw left to the arrow a tiny bit and the camera is working since then.
Hope it helps - those are fine users.

Itsmejuliette
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello again!

Thanks for all your advice, this is what I think I'm going to buy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Pcs-6x7mm-220uF-10V-Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitor s-/180827669504?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2a1a2b4400# ht_1376wt_732

These are the only capacitors that will fit in the slot, which is about 9mm x 7mm. The old capacitor measures about 7mm x 7mm.

Please advise as to whether this is the right choice, and then I'll buy them and fit them and let you know what happens!

Thanks

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 59

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those caps should work well. Just remember that caps have polarity and it is easy to check your polarity by simply touching the cap leads to the solder points on the flex and see if that permits shutter release. I've never found it necessary to even remove the old cap to perform the test. If that works, heat up the soldering iron.

Good Luck!

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 281

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The one I'm using looks exactly the same. Short leg is the minus pole. It's also marked with a thick white line on the outside of the black cover.
Good luck.

Itsmejuliette
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Worked! The capacitor was a little larger than the space for it, but by bending the legs backwards I was able to connect them, and I covered it in electrical tape to stop it from touching the camera base (apparently that can short circuit the camera).

Thank you so much, I hope that other owners of old Minolta's can fix theirs now - it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Itsmejuliette
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 06:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a photo -

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 282

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great to see it worked for you. I regard the X-300 to be a real fine user.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration