Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praise for Jon Goodman light seal kits. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Praise for Jon Goodman light seal kits. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aciel78
Tinkerer
Username: Aciel78

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all. New to the forum and would just like to share my very positive and professional experience with Jon Goodman and his light seal kits. I've been searching for a light seal kit (locally NYC area and on the web) for my newly acquired Minolta CLE without success for almost a month now and finally stumbled upon his very informative article regarding light seal replacement. After about an hour of sending him an email I got a reply from Jon himself and lo and behold he has a light seal kit for my CLE, all he asked for was my mailing address so he could send out the kit the same day! I haven't even paid the man yet and he trustingly offered to send the kit before I sent payment. Talk about customer service! Just spreading the word that Jon is a pleasure to deal with and he REALLY knows his stuff regarding light seal replacement. I'm fully aware that their are other people who sell kits similar to Jon's but none of the others I contacted replied as quick and/or didn't seem to give a crap about helping me find what i needed. Jon clearly is passionate about what he is doing and i'd recommend him to anyone in need of light seals. A big THANK YOU to Jon and Thank You rangefinderforum for all of your efforts. I'm glad to be a part of the forum. :-)
-mike

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 148

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 06:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon's the best!

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 91

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He has done the same for me. Shipped kits while the money and kits crossed in the mail. Nice to find that there are still trusting people.

If you check the "Articles" tab, you will see Jon has posted many of his instructions on this site as well.

One90guy
Tinkerer
Username: One90guy

Post Number: 29

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What email address for Jon, bought from him years ago and Ive ran out.

David

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 93

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[email protected],

And put the words "light seals" in the subject line.

One90guy
Tinkerer
Username: One90guy

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Denny.

David

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 69

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second all the good things said about John, but I understand that he stopped selling general kits of foam, felt, etc a while ago as someone was using them to manufacture and sell their own specific camera kits, thereby doing John out of trade. I like to have a stock of various materials hanging around so have unfortunately had to look elsewhere for my supplies. I'm strictly a tinkerer (i.e. never sold a camera in my life) so this is a great shame.
Steve

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 185

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve, did you ask John personally if he still can deliver lightfoams to you? His e-mail address is noted in this thread, just give it a try.

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 70

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't ask John personally, but this exact subject arose on a forum of APUG (Analog Photography Users Group) and this was the upshot of several peoples' enquiries. Two members of this forum have emailed me privately to ask where I subsequently bought light seal material, but I've been unable to reply to them in person (emails bounced). For the record, the firm I bought from was Camera Repair Materials, 19, West Drive, Ferring, West Sussex. Their website is at: www.cam-spares.com The selection of materials I received was different to that supplied by John Goodman in terms of thicknesses, quantities, etc., but the selection was just as useful and I've been happy with it.
Steve

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 163

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get my light seal material from Micro-Tools.
http://www.micro-tools.com/

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer
Username: Kb2qqm

Post Number: 30

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Goodman is great !

I have also found Mamiya RB67 light seal kits at:

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Mamiya-RB67/Light-seal/index.php

$12 !! Awesome Price.

Sciroccs
Tinkerer
Username: Sciroccs

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can also attest to the amazing quality and customer service that Jon provides. I personally dont take joy in foam seal replacement, but Jon makes it painless with the provided instructions, and perfectly cut foam pieces. Those copycats on evilbay could learn a thing or two from him.

Ludwigvan66
Tinkerer
Username: Ludwigvan66

Post Number: 11

Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here in the US, I found both thin black foam as well as thin self-adhesive felt at several hobby chains. Most notably Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and JoAnn Fabric. A good sharp X-Acto, small metal ruler, and cutting mat help immensely. I have yet to use any kind of adhesive with the foam strips, as if they are cut the right width will stay in without it.

Meade
Tinkerer
Username: Meade

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same here, only thing I have been unable to find locally is the 2-3mm open cell foam that I like to use for the mirror damper. I have used Jon's kit, great if you only have one camera to do but it is too expensive if you have a number of cameras.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 317

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought some foam sheet at Michaels to make a one-piece seal for a Ricoh 500G, and though it was easy to work with, it turned out to be too dense to be able to close the camera back. So I had to rip that out, and am waiting for a shipment of sheeting from Micro-tools.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration