Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex 3.5E Shutter Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex 3.5E Shutter Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markluk
Tinkerer
Username: Markluk

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 05:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have visited this forum for a while but this is my first post. A lot of knowledgeable camera repair info posted here I must say. I have a Rolleiflex 3.5E with a shutter that does not fire. I own two other Rolleiflex's so I know how to cock and fire the shutter with and without film loaded. Here is a description of the problem.

1. After I wind the crank forward and back to the stop position, when I press the shutter release button, nothing happens. All I hear is a faint "ping" sound; the shutter does not fire. Pressing the shutter release again and it is all silent. In order to hear the "ping" sound again, I have to advance the crank and back. This happens with and without film loaded and all shutter speeds.

2. After I wind the crank forward and back to the stop position, when I trigger the delay timer, the delay timer winds down properly. It seems the timer attempts to fire the shutter and nothing happens. The shutter release button becomes lose and I have to press the release button (it then springs back to normal, i.e. stiff) in order to wind the crank forward.

So it is correct for me to assume that the crank transport mechanism has cocked the shutter since the delay timer is working (the camera has the Synchro-Compur MXV 00 shutter). I draw that conclusion because the MXV shutter has an internal timer so the transport mechanism must have cocked the shutter in order for it to work.

My diagnosis is that the shutter is cocked but the main spring is broken ... Any feedback is much appreciated.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like completely gummed up shutter. My Rolleicord is getting that way. I'll have to open it up soon. You hear the release of the shutter actuator, but the shutter itself isn't moving. The shutter is cocked and may have been for a long time now (don't know when/if you used it last). You re-arm the shutter release each time you crank, but the shutter is already cocked.

The shutter gets so much congealed lubricant and grime (believe me, it gets in there) that the whole works get "frozen". You will be amazed at how the shutter comes to glorious life once you get some Naptha (lighter fluid) through it. Make sure you get advice on how to proceed with the flush clean (here or elsewhere) before you open up. If it sounds scary, send it to a competent repair person. A flush clean is one of the less expensive things to do.

Good luck.

Markluk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Hollenbj. I had flush-cleaned a Compur shutter before and I have an Ikoflex IIa (Synchro-Compur) which also needs shutter CLA to practice on.

So if the "ping" sound is the release of the shutter actuator (make sense) then the shutter main spring probably is OK.

I intend to learn some basic CLA myself to keep my camera cost down.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 21

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess is there are no broken springs -- just a completely gummed shutter. The Rolleiflex isn't that difficult to get into, but IIRC you have to lift the leatherette on the front plate, and there are some springs that want to fly at some point. As you must know, the trick is to get all your glass out of the way, then flood carefully so that solvent doesn't drain where you don't want it (ruin sensitive components or move dirt into a new location, causing a new problem). I have the Tomosy book that has a section on Rollei, I might be able to scan those pages for you. Also, there is a full Rolleiflex repair manual available on the net -- its a huge download (~55MB) and a bit busy, but it could be helpful too. I think that's hosted on the rangefinderforum site (as is this forum).

Rolleis are a joy to own and use. Good luck.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1198

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds like the blades themselves might be glued together. A quick way to check for this is to remove the front lens cell, cock and release the shutter; after you hear the "ping" sound, take a sharp sewing needle and very gently lift the top shutter blade slightly up away from the other blades. This will break the seal and the blades will immediately fire. It will now work for a while, you can check for correct operation at slow speeds etc. If the speeds are OK, you may be able to clean the blade surfaces with lighter fluid on cotton swabs through both the front and rear lens openings (you will need to clean it from both sides). Of course, the RIGHT way to do it is to disassemble the shutter, but this may get you on the road less invasively.

Ccameron84
Tinkerer
Username: Ccameron84

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, June 22, 2012 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys, Im just wondering if yu have had you issue fixed?

Iv recently just bought the Rollieflex T and it was working a few weeks ago but now its doing the same as you described above. However i have noticed that once iv wound it on and pressed the shutter i can wind it again and the shutter opens up while im winding. Does this sound like a dirty shutter?

Markluk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. I have got the problem resolved. In the end, I sent the camera to had it fixed since I'm very busy this summer. The shutter blades were in fact very clean but the speed governor was loose. So I was glad that I have it sent out since I don't have the means to measure shutter speed.

I had it fixed at rolleiman.com (he is a bit hard to get a hold of sometimes). It only cost me $55 plus shipping.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration