Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM-1 light meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus OM-1 light meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nccb
Tinkerer
Username: Nccb

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Picked up an OM-1 off ebay in pristine condition - doesn't even look used. Everything seemed functional with the exception of the light meter, which was fine - I figured dead battery. So I ordered a Wein cell 1.35V replacement and also seal replacements from Jon Goodman.

I replaced the seals using a kit from Jon Goodman and that went fine. I'm fairly certain I did nothing wrong. The battery arrived a day later and so I popped that in but alas, the meter still doesn't work. The meter reacts at bulb, 1 second, 1/2 second, etc. but I have read that this is because at those extremes the meter is mechanically coupled to the shutter speed and aperture so it will do that even without a battery.

I checked the terminal and it looks clean. The brown wire is still soldered on and looks intact in the bottom of the camera. What can I check next?? The camera is in such good exterior condition that I would have thought the internals were good, especially with new battery put in.

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 52

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 02:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take top off, check voltage at end of brown wire, check continuity of coil, ( pass 1.5v trough blue wire/earth), it should kick, if not, check earthing strip between metal housing and body. If Coil is open, only fix is substitute from a wreck. No parts anywhere.

Raymondlo84
Tinkerer
Username: Raymondlo84

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got the SAME PROBLEM >_< I was trying to the top off and scratched the camera and lost a pin etc...

Here is what you would need to take the top off.

First read this website!
http://web.archive.org/web/20081007001325/http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/t utorials/OM-1CoverRemoval/

Make sure you get a spanner (from ebay) and get all equipments before getting started... ;( Also, good luck LOL! and let me know how you fixed yours... I'm still waiting for my spanner to come now

Om1user
Tinkerer
Username: Om1user

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just because the brown wire looks like it's still soldered doesn't mean it has a good connection. These wires are old and can corrode near the insulation. Before resorting to opening the top do a simple continuity check between the center tab of the battery holder and the base of the camera. the resistance should be much lower when the light meter switch is on. If not try stripping off some of the brown wire insulation and resolder it. If this doesn't work then open the top like others have suggested.

Thomas1
Tinkerer
Username: Thomas1

Post Number: 17

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree! The OM-1's that I have purchased on ebay that had meter problems were almost all a result of a corroded wire connection. However, beware, on the repair, because some have a plastic screw on the battery holder that if broken could be difficult to replace. Olympus in building the small camera did not leave much room for error. If you are planning to solder anything practice a little before diving in to the camera. What I recommend is making sure you have a good magnifying glass and razor blade to do any stripping necessary. Take your time. I will say that one more time - take your time. The wire typically fits into a small hole in the connector to the battery holder. You might try removing all the solder and then - after gingerly stripping a bit of the wire end - put some solder on that. Then apply some solder to the battery holder connection. Then solder the two together. If at any point there is not enough length then put a short piece in. Not too much as there isn't much room and the smaller the wire guage the better. If you take your time you will likely wind up with a like new camera. The regular hearing aid batteries are just fine. You can simulate the Wein by covering a few of the holes, and if necessary put in a small washer to keep the connection tight. Best of luck!.

Raymondlo84
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will try resoldering the wire~ It is attached to the battery holder properly but maybe it isn't enough?

Raymondlo84
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2012 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like it wasn't the solder at the bottom case. I have checked the wire again directly and there is no change in resistance when I switch the light meter on/off! I will open up the camera next, and most likely I will post some images on that. It is very likely that I will crack things up and never fix it anyway x\

Also, if you r planning to resolder the wire! make sure you have a spare wire to extend its length! you would end up shorten the wire and it won't fit on again! that's what happened to me and I spent good 1/2 hour redo everything!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration