Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to remove bellows from Kodak 3a? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » How to remove bellows from Kodak 3a? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 178

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Kodak 3A Autographic Jr. in near new condition but the bellows are pin holed and I want to remove and replace them. But the back end metal frame that holds the bellows in place at the focal plane looks unmoveable without causing damage. Any hints?

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 60

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just looked at mine. It has the same construction as all my other old Kodaks. There are small metal tabs around the back rim which are folded to hold the back of the bellows in place. On mine it looks like there are three tabs on the top and bottom and four tabs along the sides. You need a little L-shaped tool to pry up the tabs. I have a set of Kobalt tools with this shape which I have used. A friend heated the end of a small screwdriver and bent the tip for the same purpose.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 84

Posted on Friday, June 29, 2012 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the other end, you will need to drill out the four rivets holding the front frame to the front standard. (Remove the lens and shutter first.) Replace them with 0-80 or 1-72 flat-head screws and "small form" nuts.

However, I'd find it hard to get excited about replacing a bellows on a "Junior" Kodak, rather put the effort (and presumably NOS bellows) on a model with a better lens and shutter. Of course, unless you want a rather soft lens.

John_shriver
Tinkerer

Post Number: 85

Posted on Friday, June 29, 2012 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To me, a "good" Kodak 3A has a Wollensak Optimo (if it works), Ilex Universal, Compur, or Kodak Kodamatic shutter. Any 3A with one of those shutters also has a fine lens.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 180

Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Connealy: I have a screwdriver like that and it got that way even without heating it. :-) Was using it to chip off some epoxy that shouldn't have been applied to a Polaroid by the privious owner.

John: This one has an Ilex with the 170mm f7.7 Anastigmat. The plan is to remove the lens for use elsewhere but the body is in such fine condition, leatherwise, compared to the other 3a's I have, the first thought was to pull a perfect heavy leather bellows from one of the other 3a's and put in the minty looking Jr. But, the 2nd thought now is how do I remove the perfect leather from the Jr. to put on the less pristine other 3a's instead?

John_shriver
Tinkerer

Post Number: 87

Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you get one with a redolent old leather bellows, that's great. Later ones have either a very thin leather bellows, or a synthetic one. There are new old stock ones that are sold on eBay, although you often have to swap the front plate.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration