Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Photavit Photina Reflex problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Photavit Photina Reflex problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theoldkingmouse
Tinkerer
Username: Theoldkingmouse

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,
I've registered here in order to fix my Photina Reflex camera... I appreciate any help you can give me.

First, the good: The body seems to be in good shape. The shutter, aperture seem to be working fine. none of the glass has any signs of mould or fungus.

The bad: The lenses will not align. Any help finding a way to get these into alignment? The top viewing lens doesn't line up to the distance markings at all... I'm a beginner to this type of camera, so thanks in advance!

Cactus
Tinkerer
Username: Cactus

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it possible to post a picture of the area that will not line up?

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 184

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a problem that has been discussed many times in this forum. Do some searches, and you'll find some tips. Probably has been handled more often with the early Ricohflex (which had the same type of 'geared' coupling bewteen the taking and viewing lenses.

I did an overhaul of a Photina Reflex last year. Those are nice cameras to shoot with, and they are easier to fix than the Ricohflex.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 95

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had one of these a while back but didn't get involved with focus adjustments. In general the way these geared TLR's work is that the geared rings at the front of the taking and viewing lenses are secured to the lens barrels by two or three tiny grub screws. Loosen these and the ring can be turned against the lens barrel or even removed. The procedure would therefore be to focus the viewing lens to infinity on the focusing screen using a distant object, loosen (don't remove) the screws, turn the geared ring to the marked infinity position without turning the lens itself, then tighten the screws. This should set the viewing lens. Then repeat with the taking lens, this time you will need to tape a piece of ground glass or similar exactly in the film plane, fully open the aperture and open the shutter on the "B" setting using a locking cable release, then focus on a distant object to establish the infinity position. You may have to remove the geared ring and refit it at the new position, when the gear teeth should engage with those on the viewing lens. Its a good idea to check that they still coincide at a shorter distance, say 10 feet. It may be easier to do the adjustments at the shorter distance using a sheet of newspaper or something similar taped to the wall, then check on a distant object for the infinity positions.

As I say this is a general guide, for example I did this on a rather similarHalina A1 bit the Photina may differ in detail. Hope this helps.

Theoldkingmouse
Tinkerer
Username: Theoldkingmouse

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So where could I get a piece of ground glass for focusing the taking lens? I don't have one lying around... John S, your post is very helpful!.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 96

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No worries ... I've sometimes used a piece of opaque plastic cut from a white plastic shopping bag. Tape it in position across the film gate, as nearly as possible where the film itself would be.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 185

Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My "ground glass" is a bit of stiff plexiglas from a CD case, cut to the approximate width of the film. The image side is sanded lightly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration