Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM2 Removal & replacement of le... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FM2 Removal & replacement of leatherette « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Newworld
Tinkerer
Username: Newworld

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 03:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a FM2 with a closing shutter blade that needs replacement. I have looked at other postings and have the general jist of removing the top , front face /mirror box and shutter blade replacement but the missing link is details of the removal and replcement of the leatherette without having to replace it. I want to move slowly so this is the first step I don't want to get off to a bad start - please assist .

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 72

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2012 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The leatherette is probably held by double side adhesive tape. The glue gets soft when you apply a few drops of isopropanole or similar. Start at one of the corners and peel the leatherette off. Apply a few drops whenever you feel that you have to pull to hard.

Ciao,

Dirk

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 286

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2012 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's anything like my FM2 or FA, it's not going to need much assistance to get the leatherette off. Both have corners and edges which peeled on their own. A solvent I prefer for most things photographic is naphtha, but I don't know if something else is better in this usage.

Newworld
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2012 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your help : Dirbel & Mndean - what you have suggested is consistant with what I have read .
I wondered if you removed the leatherette with (isopropanole or naphtha (lighter fuel )) and say didn't overstreach it and kept it clean ( i.e. stuck it to a pane of glass) would you need fresh adhesive to readhere it to the camera body ?
If you did need new adhesive would you need to clean the leatherette ( can you suggest a cleaning solution and the method ) and also a brand of adhesive ?
I read somewhere that a hairdrier could be used for non- chemical removal and refit to the camera - has anyone tried this ?
Many thanks !

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 73

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might be able to reuse the adhesive. As you said, keep it clean and wipe it with (isopropanole or naphtha (lighter fuel )) before reattaching. You might find that the edges peel off after a short ime though.

To get the old adhesive off, just rub it off with a cloth and (isopropanole or naphtha (lighter fuel )).

Use contact cement to reattach. Pliobond is easy to apply, because is not too thick.

I haven't used a hairdryer so far, and I am not sure I would heat the whole camera just to get the leatherette off.

Ciao,

Dirk

Newworld
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 01:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Dirk,
Thank you , as soon as my Phillips 0,00 and 000 screwdrivers arrive from the USA I'll give it a go.
I'll have a shot at the hairdrier when I can get hold of a $20 "sold as spares" to experiment with - I'll keep you posted !
Seeya,
Ashley

Newworld
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A follow up on leatherette removal.I flooded the leatherette with Lighter fuel , left it for a miniute or two and the leatherette came off easily .
Something I wish I had known is that the leatherette on a NIKON FM2 is thicker and tougher than I imagined it would be - it would have made the removal less stressful.I'll post my experiences with the replacement when I've worked out my shutter mirror cocking problems.

Robertboyet
Tinkerer
Username: Robertboyet

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use 3M Scotch brand double sided tape used to stick down carpet edges to reapply the leatherette. I get the stuff at the True Value hardware store in the USA but it is pretty common elsewhere I think for use in installing carpet. What I get is 1.5 inches by 42 feet. 3,81 cm x 12,8 m. Enough for a lot of cameras and is not expensive but if your doing just one that is another thing.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1047

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One should be aware that not all types of double sided tape are suitable for attaching vinyl 'leatherette' camera coverings. The adhesive used on the tape should be of the plasticiser resistant variety. This may be somewhat academic if the recovered camera is going to sit on a shelf for the rest of its natural, but if you are going to use the beast problems could occur. It is logical to think that plasticiser migration only happens to relatively new vinyl. However, a rush recovering in 2002 using an unknown double sided tape on a couple of A1's that were subsequently exposed to heavy use during a very hot trip to areas of the WW2 North African Campaign, resulted in sticky goo and peeling coverings - another A1 with its original covering and adhesive was unaffected.

(Before people start to wonder or ask - I learnt many years ago that on some trips, walking or traveling about festooned in Leitz bling was not conducive to a relaxing and informative trip. A bag of nondescript, but functioning equipment is all one needs.

I know that Micro Tools sells the correct stuff in 1 inch width - not sure about their 2 inch product , but I think most automative suppliers can supply at a much more reasonable cost.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration