Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Trying to resurrect a Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Trying to resurrect a « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hazfiendgmailcom
Tinkerer
Username: Hazfiendgmailcom

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, newbie here. I have a Canon T70 which was my mother's and hasn't been used for about a decade. I would imagine it was fine before that. There was old film in it but the batteries were long gone and had leaked. The plate appears ok and it now has fresh batteries which appear to be working fine. I don't seem to be able to add film. The manual says I should line up the film with an orange mark, close the back and it will load the film automatically. However, it doesn't appear to do that. It does various things like produce numbers in the viewfinder border and display icons in the display panel but no whirr of film loading, no number in the frames left window. If there is a film cartridge inside it shows that icon but the three bars underneath flash while it is beeping for a short time when I press the shutter button, etc. I was able to select iso100 film rather than iso200, so I think it's got electrical integrity. Any advice? Am I feeding the film into the right place?

Wideopeniris
Tinkerer
Username: Wideopeniris

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only thing I can think is that the battery contacts are still not working right. When the camera doesn't draw much current, it may seem to function OK, but once the motors that wind the film try to engage, then the battery will not power properly due to extra resistance. Have you thoroughly cleaned the contacts? They may need some abrasive cleaning. Unfortunately this always causes the plating to be damaged, and occasional cleaning may be necessary here after..

Good luck,

Kevin.

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 87

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Try to clean the contacts with white vinegar in a cotton swab. (Real white vinegar, not imitation). If the plating has some damage, you can try using tiny strips of metal tape to improve the connection.

Thanks,
Ismael

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's imitation white vinegar? Who knew? Thanks for the tip, I'm going to keep an eye out for that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration