Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help needed with triplet lens re-asse... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Help needed with triplet lens re-assembly (Lubitel 166B) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geg_thomas
Tinkerer
Username: Geg_thomas

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Originally posted this on flickr and got a recommendation to post here...

Coppee/pasta:

Recently I had to fix a problem of the shutter staying open and not closing unless I slid the aperture arm back and forth. After taking the entire shutter diaphragm apart, I managed to fix it and it's working smoothly.

However, the piece of paper that I had written notes on regarding the orientation of lens and other pieces has gone missing in my studio. All I have to do is put the 2 lens elements back into the diaphragm but I'm having trouble. I think the convex (curved out) lens goes at the back, with the most curvy side facing the film plane. I think the concave one fits in the middle, with the smaller side with a black beveled edge faces the front lens, but I'm not 100% on this as the plans for the triplet lens online suggests the smaller beveled side faces the film plane.

Also, I have three ring clips but I can only figure that two will go into holding the remaining elements in place, which makes me wonder where the third fits. Possibly inside the camera body once the diaphragm is back on? I do not know. Two of the rings are the same size and thickness while the other is slightly smaller but thicker...

I could simply put it together and test it, but having partly tried that I can't find a place for the third ring. Having searched this in depth online, I found an example where the middle lens element was smashed because it wasn't held in place properly due to the ring, and I'm fearful that this could happen if I put it all back to test it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 222

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2012 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what to tell you about the rings, but I have an idea about determining the proper orientation for the lens elements.

Is the lens and shutter mounted in a camera right now? If so, got a piece of ground glass? If so, then just hold the ground glass up to the film plane, focus the lens on a subject and see if it is coming into correct focus on the ground glass.

If the lens/shutter is not mounted in a camera, then just point the lens at a well-lit scene, like out a window and hold it up close to a wall or another smooth surface. Move the lens back and forth until the image on the smooth surface or wall comes into sharp focus.

If the image doesn't come into sharp focus, swap around the lens elements until it does. Hopefully once you've established the correct orientation for the lens elements, the positions of the rings will become more obvious.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration