Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Slipping film advance on a Yashica 124 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Slipping film advance on a Yashica 124 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ahson
Tinkerer
Username: Ahson

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there!

I just picked up a Yashica 124 in nice condition that seemed to be working perfectly. However, once I got a take-up spool in place and tried to load a film, the advance mechanism started slipping and failed to wind the film onto the spool.

I've tried a different spool and a roll of film but it makes no difference. If I take the take-up spool out, then the winder looks fine, but as soon as there's some friction from a spool it just slips. The rod with gear for the film counter seems to be fine with tension. Any ideas, or this is simply just bad that couldn't be fixed except a proper CLA?

I uploaded a video on YouTube for better look at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31sbEXfF5fE

Thanks

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 127

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This looks and sounds like my Yashicamat EM. You can start by looking through this one

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/18920.html

And this one on an LM. It also has a link to exploded drawings of a 124G, but that should be very similar to your 124.

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/22192.html?1357861658

Good Luck

Ahson
Tinkerer
Username: Ahson

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2013 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Denny,

Thanks for your links as the problem you had seems to be the exact same issue on my Yashica 124 now. I got the camera from ebay for a low price and not wanting to spend double of the camera price and send that to Mark Hama to repair it (although I will have to if I can't do it).

How did you remove and open up the side? Was it difficult? After I loosen up the leatherette, can I re-apply it back on?

Thanks

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 128

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2013 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You pretty well got it. Loosening the leatherette was the most time consuming part. I carefully used a toothpick as a "chisel" to gently break the leatherette loose from the glue and metal backing plate, trying to be carefull to keep the leatherette from tearing or poking a hole in it. The good news is that the later leatherettes are good about being reusable as they do not get brittle like the earlier ones. Once the leatherette is pulled back from the screws, getting the cover plate off is pretty easy.

As far as re-sticking the leatherette, I used double stick tape so that if need be, I could get it back off easily.

As far as sending it to Mark Hama, I don't have personal experience, but from everything I have read, he is the best. In addition, if you did decide to sell it later, it would probably bring top dollar having a "Mark Hama Rebuild". Keep the paperwork for verification. I got my EM pretty cheap and didn't feel I could justify spending that much for a hobby camera.

Good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration