Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikon Contina slow shutter speed... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zeiss Ikon Contina slow shutter speeds sticky! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bw400cn
Tinkerer
Username: Bw400cn

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 04, 2013 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At all of my 3 Zeiss Ikon Continas the slow speeds are getting sticky.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69541531@N04/8520321731/in/photostream

It would be the first cam repair by my own - so I ask you if it is possible for a "beginner" to do this job and what keind of tools will be needed?

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 322

Posted on Monday, March 04, 2013 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did a folding Contina as the first one that actually survived my efforts, so it can be done.

The lens unscrews from the front, while the Prontor shutter is covered here:
http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=prontor

I bought a set of Wiha Picodrive screwdrivers, which were well worth the cost. The awkward bit was unscrewing the lens retaining ring - I made a bodge tool which I'm not sure I should describe here, if you can get hold of a proper lens spanner then do it.

Bw400cn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, March 04, 2013 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks!
Small screwdrivers ain't a problem - I have them from my rc-cars ;-)
A lens spanner - where can I get one?

Do I have to open the 2 big screws inside the cam and take the complete shutter inclusive the frontplate out?

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 323

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are in the US or Germany, try Micro Tools (anywhere else the postage will bankrupt you...), otherwise try ebay, and be careful you don't accidentally buy one for a large format camera!

I don't know about the large screws, as my folding Contina doesn't have them - but I'm fairly sure that you should be able to get into the Prontor from the front, and dismantle it from that side. I took mine right apart, but I had an oily aperture to fix as well. It would probably be a good idea to clean and re-grease the lens threads, as it might be oil from there gunging up your slow escapement.

Bw400cn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks I tokk the complete shutter unit out for behind.
Took the rear lens out and came to the shutter for this side - but then I'm finished with my skills.
Try to get this tool and open it from the front side - pics will follow.

Bw400cn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 03:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had sucsess with the first two cams!
Opened the shutter from behind - like I said above.
So I opend the four big screws to take the shutter unit apart from the case - opend the rear lens - cleaned the shutter with lighter fluid and it works like new!
was a bit fiddly to get the right position to fit the shutter unit back in the case - but I got it.
The both Contina IIa are back in buisness!
The Continamatic has a Prontor SLK Shutter which is conected with the light meter - I´m a bit affraid to do it the same way.

Bw400cn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69541531@N04/sets/72157632940672172/

Here are the Pics of my way.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 330

Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congrats! There's nothing better than having them clicking again!

Viel Spaß! (Have fun)
Martin in Austria

Bw400cn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, March 08, 2013 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Danke Martin,
schön hier noch mehr Österreicher zu sehen!

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 332

Posted on Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure if it's much more Austrians here than us.
Regards
Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration