Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Light Leak on Minolta X570 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Light Leak on Minolta X570 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 105

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

My sister got me a Minolta X570 that looks to be in excellent condition. I put fresh batteries and dry tested it. It seems to be working fine. So I loaded a roll of Kodak BW400CN black and white and off I went. The camera is working properly and I was able to get some very nice shots. The frame counter is not working but that's not a big deal for now. However, in 9 of the frames (not consecutives), a light leak was obvious. Analyzing and thinking about it, I'm suspecting that the light leak is most likely at the rear door hinge. Looking at the negatives the leak goes all the way across the film vertically beyond the perforations.The foam inside the door is somewhat deteroriated.
I think I can test again putting black tape all over the hinge to see what happens. Of course the foam needs to be addressed as well.

Am I in the right direction?

Thanks,
Ismael

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 502

Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's the right way to go, Ismael. You need to replace the seals. Jon Goodman is an excellent source for seal kits (contact him through the forum). The frame counter may be inoperative because of some gummy seal crumbs getting into the slot where the reset lever pokes out into the door channel, and blocking it's action. You might not have to pop the top to clean it, but most likely you will.

PF

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 334

Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ismael,

I agree that Jon Goodman is a great source for the material you need. You can find his email in the articles section of this forum where you can also find his detailed instructions on how to replace the seals. He's also very generous with his knowledge and if you need further information on how to install the seals he will certainly help. Here's the link to his articles here in the forum:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/sealreplacement.html

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, March 15, 2013 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ismael,
I can't find the logic of it being the light seals. To me it seems the seals would have to be sometimes working, sometimes not-working in order for you to get periodic, non-consecutive light leaks on a roll of film. As they are non-moving I can't make that work in my mind.
The one wild scenario I can envision is your grasp on the camera is keeping the film door sealed until you release it. Does this sound like a possibility to you? When you grasp the camera do you see or feel the door move?

When you say the light leak is vertical, do you mean from the top TO bottom of the frame, or across the top OR bottom of the frame? If it is top to bottom, that to me sounds like a sticky second curtain or other mechanical problem. This might need some cleanup/adjustment by a professional, or continued use might free it up.

If your seals are crumbly it is true that they need to be replaced, so don't hold back doing that. There just seems a fair enough possibility it won't fix this problem.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 164

Posted on Friday, March 15, 2013 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since Ismael says it runs beyond the perforations, that eliminates the shutter. Light leaks on non-consecutive frames are not uncommon, in my experience. New seals are in order, and if there's still a problem then I agree he should look somewhere else.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 115

Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Definitely get the seals replaced. Light leaks are unpredictable things, they depend to a great degree on the intensity and direction of the light the camera was exposed to, and the length of time that particular piece of film was in the firing line. For example if you exposed a number of frames in quick succession, in a reasonably shady place you might not see the leaks. Whereas if there was a long period of time between exposures, and the camera was exposed to strong light in between, then light leaks are much more likely.

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 106

Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

Like Donnie said, since the leak runs beyond the frame into the perforations and beyond them up to the edge, the shutter is most likely not at fault. And like John said, analyzing the pictures and the leaks, pics taken at dusk from inside the car are perfect. Those taken rather slowly in broad daylight are the ones showing it. I also noticed upon closer inspection that most of the black paint in the hinge is rubbed out, showing shiny metal. Yet another piece of evidence supporting the leak theory around the hinge area.
I usually use ISO 100 film. This time I used 400 so it may have helped to be more evident.
One more thing: The leaks sometimes fall between 2 frames affecting a bit of both images and the space in between them.

Here are some samples:
This one was taken at dusk from inside the car.
http://images20.fotki.com/v503/photos/4/1233394/11777784/Scan1303110019-vi.jpg

These are the last 2 frames of the roll. Immediately rewounded after these were taken.
http://images60.fotki.com/v662/photos/4/1233394/11777784/Scan1303110002-vi.jpg

http://images46.fotki.com/v28/photos/4/1233394/11777784/Scan1303110001-vi.jpg

And here are some in strong daylight taking time between them...
http://images51.fotki.com/v282/photos/4/1233394/11777784/Scan1303110013-vi.jpg

http://images58.fotki.com/v612/photos/4/1233394/11777784/Scan1303110017-vi.jpg

http://images43.fotki.com/v679/photos/4/1233394/11777784/Scan1303110008-vi.jpg

http://images49.fotki.com/v629/photos/4/1233394/11777784/Scan1303120001-vi.jpg

By the way, I already contacted Jon and ordered the seals kit.
I'm actually excited about this :-)

Thanks,
Ismael

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration