Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikon Contaflex II Shutter Repairs Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zeiss Ikon Contaflex II Shutter Repairs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 585

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A friend of mine sent me a Contaflex II to see if I could get the shutter working on it. I'd always heard that they were bears to work on, but I figured it's only a shutter job, so how bad could it be?

Well, the double action on the shutter release makes things just a bit more complicated, so it was a bit more than just cleaning the escapement, and self timer. That, and the fact that the internal parts had been beating and banging on each other for around sixty years, and it's looking like I feel most days.

It was difficult only in the sense that since it had been a while since I had worked on an S-C, I didn't pick up on the visual clues as fast as I used to. But I finally got it back into working order, and "Look Ma, no leftover parts!"

This turned out to be the main offending part.

And for the other photos, you can go to
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjGwBS2D

It will be a couple of days before I get all the notes applied, so if you don't see anything when you mouse over a photo, just come back later.

PF

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 351

Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 02:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi - your decriptions are so rich and detailed that I wish I had a broken Contaflex.
Best regards
Martin

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 50

Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 'bears' bit is when you have to remove the whole shutter unit from the body. This has to be done to reach the shutter cocking and shutter release mechanisms, which can gum up. Then you are in serious 'can't put it back together' territory. You have to wind a spring loaded gear wheel the right number of turns and hold it in the right position to fit the shutter unit back on the body. This I have achieved twice. But if there are problems with the light flap that comes down between exposures........your talking dark forces and magic.......don't go there!

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 587

Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Martin. I used to have to write technical sheets on repair procedures for the railroad.

Don't want to go there, Fidji. The Synchro-Compur is enough fun for me.

PF

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1326

Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, with Contaflexes, 90% of the time the trouble isn't in the shutter at all but in the stop-down system which is located .... you guessed it .... between the shutter and the body.

I do have notes on that if you need to go there.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 588

Posted on Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was able to dodge the deluges enough this morning, Rick, to go shoot a roll of Kodak BW400CN. Results are here http://flic.kr/s/aHsjGAFb7M

Don't know if the missing frames are from the shutter sticking again, or the stop-down mech malfunctioning.

PF

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1327

Posted on Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

those look good! Nice little cameras.....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration