Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 124G Mat - Light meter buggin... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica 124G Mat - Light meter bugging out :-( « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ultralloyd
Tinkerer
Username: Ultralloyd

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So my Yashica MF 124GMat has been brilliant the past six months... till I got to the humidity in NYC this past weekend.

Now the light meter is just bugging out. It doesn't register anything - and then will suddenly pop up to get an exposure reading, but when I adjust the Apeture it conks out again.

I'm basically guessing now - which sucks - and I really don't want to carry a light meter with me as well as the one on the camera really works great (when it was working).

Anyone know a manual solution to the problem? I'm going to get a new battery to see if maybe its a charge issue - but how does one go about cleaning the residue on the contacts there if that's an issue?

Any help would be appreciated!

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 206

Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a chap in the USA who supplied me with a meter from a mass of old Yashica tlr cameras he has. Too long ago for me to recall his name or email address, but if I found him by trawling the web, you could too.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 134

Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

vinegar and a Q-tip (or some kind of applicator). It does sound like a connection problem and not like the meter cell is going out. I use vinegar to clean battery compartment contacts. An abrasive might be necessary if there's excessive buildup/oxidation on them. Use a very fine grit sandpaper (e.g., 600) and cut out a small circle, paste it on the end of a fresh pencil eraser (on a pencil) and do both twisting and back-forth motions. Make sure the "spring" of the contacts are sprung enough to maintain contact with the battery, pull them gently out if needed. Aside from that, if the problem persists, you're looking at tracking down the intermittent connection. A job.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1336

Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 124 has a switch that turns the meter on and off when you raise and lower the VF hood... very simple, 2 strips of metal that touch when the hood is raised and are pushed apart by a pin when it goes down. This sort of switch can very easily get dirty enough to stop 1.5 volts from passing through. Remove the 4 screws holding the hood, and it's all wide open for you to see (and clean).

Ultralloyd
Tinkerer
Username: Ultralloyd

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys - will try the battery clean as well as the hood strip clean method later this week and will update!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration