Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Pen S Disassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus Pen S Disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Feldman (Rafeldman)
Tinkerer
Username: Rafeldman

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2023 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got an Olympus Pen S that needs some CLA: the shutter works, but opens slowly, so all of the times are off.

I have found instructions for removing the top and the front lens cell, but I want to remove the entire lens/shutter mechanism from the body. There are 4 screws around the lens visible from the back of the body, through the frame opening. Am I correct in guessing that removing these screws will free the lens/shutter assembly from the body?
Pre-2013 Username: r_a_feldman

Rick_oleson (Rick_oleson)
Legend
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1379

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2023 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the original Pen at least yes, that’s the way it was attached.
application/pdfPen shutter notes
Olympus Pen.pdf (433.6 k)

Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, July 28, 2023 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

Thanks for the notes. The shutter in the Pen S is attached in the same way. Fortunately, I did not need to remove the shutter from the body, as I could not figure out how to slide the flash wire and shutter release lever (marked 2 and 3 in the attached image) past the hole in the front of the body.

Also, be very aware that if you remove the shutter speed ring to expose the gearing, there is a small metal ring at point 1 that can slip off its post and get lost. The ring is less than 1mm in diameter and 1mm long. If it is missing, the shutter will not cock properly.

Olympus Pen S Copal X Shutter

Rick_oleson (Rick_oleson)
Legend
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1380

Posted on Friday, July 28, 2023 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info, glad you got it done! I don’t recall that ring, I’m wondering if that was original, or if it might have been added to fix a worn cocking lever.

Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, July 28, 2023 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ring looks original and there is no wear on the levers on either side of it. Also, I found one comment on Reddit (IIRC) about there being a small part than can easily get lost.

EDIT: Other pictures of the Copal X shutter show this ring, such as a 6:30 o’clock in the last picture at https://everythingvintage.uk/vintage-camera/strip-down-and-attempted-repair-of-a-copal-x-shutter-part-1/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration