Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zenobia C 1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Zenobia C 1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wes_hodge
Tinkerer
Username: Wes_hodge

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey All!
Yesterday i acquired a Zenobia C1 w/DOC Rapid. The shutter seems to be sticking. It moves with a little help, but only if i help it out. My dad put some oil on the lever thinking thats what was sticking, however that didnt work, and now there is oil on the shutter blades itself.

I have no experience with a repairing cameras, but would love to take on this project. any of you guys have suggestions or can direct me to a step by step instructions on this type of repair for this camera?

all help is much appreciated!

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 105

Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shutters are supposed to run dry (except for some minute quantities of high quality oil in very few places inside the shutter).

As a first project, it might be best to completely soak the shutter in lighter fluid (naphta from the hardware store works also and is a lot cheaper).

IMPORTANT: Once you start taking something apart, take pictures with your digital camera documenting every step.

1) remove the lens/shutter combo from the camera, there is a retaining ring that keeps it on the lens standard, which can be unscrewed from the inside/back of the camera (fold the camera to get easy access). Be very careful here, since you are working close to the bellows and any nick might cause a light leak. The proper tool for unscrewing the shutter is a spanner wrench, if you don't have one, you can make one yourself, see this article to get you started:

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/repairtools.html

2) Once the lens/shutter is off, remove the lenses. There is one lens that can be unscrewed from the back of the shutter. The other two are screwed into the front of the shutter. Loosen the small set screws that hold the ring around the front lens. The metal cover with which you focus the lens will then just slip off. Now unscrew the front lens. It is screwed into the middle lens element. It also must be unscrewed. Once you've gotten this far, you have completely removed all parts of the lens (btw, all lenses on this camera have a right hand thread).

3) Soak the whole shutter in naphta (in a well ventilated place) Every once in a while, try to exercise the shutter. When the thing is wet, it will probably run very well, once it dries and there is some oil/gunk left you'll have a stuck shutter again. Once the shutter has soaked enough, perhaps for a day, you need to let it dry. You can dry and clean the shutter blades by VERY GENTLY using q-tips to swipe moisture off. You can expedite the drying process by gently blowing some air from a can of air into the shutter.

4) If all went well, you now have a clean and working shutter. Screw the lenses back in, and put the shutter back on the camera. Now comes the interesting part...

5) You must collimate the lens, which means that you have to adjust it to correctly focus at infinity. See this article for a description:

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/collimator.html

all you need is a manual SLR camera with a lens with known good infinity focus.

On your Zenobia, you will turn the front element until it focuses correctly at infinity, and then you carefully put the lens collar back on, such that it is set at infinity and tighten the set screws.

DONE!

Good luck - Markus

PS: If the cleaning the shutter as a whole does not work you might have to disassemble and clean it.

PS2: Before you start, wait for some other people here to comment... I probably forgot something or even told you something that is wrong. What I described is the procedure as I would do it.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 823

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some general notes on this sort of thing here - http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-55.html - but it would be better if you could find something that shows your exact model. Your original problem was probably just dirty gears, which would have been a pretty easy job. Getting the oil off the shutter blades will require some very serious disassembly, unless you manage to flood-clean the whole thing successfully. Be sure to follow the above advice and take a digital photo of EVERY step in the process, no matter how small it seems - trust me, you'll forget how it goes by the time you need to put it back together if you don't have the photos.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration