Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prontor Press shutter cleaning II Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Prontor Press shutter cleaning II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wimw
Tinkerer
Username: Wimw

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this thread of 2006 and followed it to open my Prontor Press shutter in order to clean it. I should have been forewarned by the fact that I had not (or did not find) four front screws, but I was too eager to get the job done. Anyway, as soon as I had the back cover off, six shutter blades fell out without my having any idea how they had been positioned. And indeed, they were six even though there are only five hinge points.

I was seriously considering the option of panicking. But things got better once I tried figuring out how it was meant to work. Where I had come to, the shutter didn't do anything at all, even without blades, until I pushed the whole thing a bit back into position. Then I found out, that in the T-position, the smaller activator axes (the little ones close to the hinge points) would remain into a different position, that allowed for much easier placement of the leaf-blades. So I did, guessing that the sith, slightly smaller leaf would be on top of the first one after closing the circle to finish it off. The back cover now could be repositioned quite easily, and I could test the shutter.

Interesting...

The shutter operated at all its speeds better and more smoothly than it ever had done before. Only, it closed the opening during release, instead of opening it. Apparently the leaf blades can be put to working in the wrong-way-round position.

However, knowing the T-trick now, It was not difficult to turn them around. I still don't know whether I did it alright or not, but it works well now.

step by step:
1. put the shutter into T-position'
2. press the lever once to open the shutter
3. make sure the diafragm-selector doesn't interfere with removing the back cover (unscrew the tiny screw at its side to loosen it)
4. unscrew the back cover and carefully lift it, without shaking the blades
5. here I suggest drawing the blade configuration, paying special attention to one that is double and a bit narrower than the other ones
6. pick out the blades with a pair of twizzors
7. rince the shutter body with solvent.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration