Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F-1: Pin Face Screw Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon F-1: Pin Face Screw « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ron Mott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine's missing! The only exploded drawing I can find is the original F-1 with part number 13-9415. I have the following concerns:

1. I don't know if the F-1N has the same part number, thread size/pitch.
2. Are there possibly "A-1 like" washers and springs in the F-1N version. The A-1 Pin Face Screw won't fit.
3. Supplier for this part?

Thanks for anything I can learn! Ron

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I have no F-1 parts list to hand, which screw are you talking about? I would guess that with your ref to A-1 it is the one that holds the advance lever. You should go to the FTb for a possible donor, as this model was a direct 'descendant' of the original F-1. I think I have one or two FTb screws, the pin holes will be a bit marked - that is why they are in the bits bin. Contact me direct if you want one as a try and an interim measure. You can always paint a chrome FTb item to match your F-1.

Ron Mott

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are correct it is the advance lever screw. However I've goofed on the subject line and my camera is actually an F1N. It appears I left the all-important "N" from the post subject. Does that change your suggestion?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will have to check this. The FTb and the FTb-n have completely different levers and the FTb-n lever is similar to the F-1N lever. I put FTb-n levers on all my working FTs, this is a simple modification. However the lever does require the drive slot to be filed out because the drive plates and main shafts are totally different between the FTb and FTb-n. I do not remember if the pin faced screw was interchangeable, the thread is definitely the same. Where all this is leading is that the F-1N may need a FTb-n screw.

I will check later this evening and see if there is any difference between the two screw types. The only complication I can see is that Canon may have drastically redesigned the basic engineering on the New model, even though the controls are similar.

Ron Mott

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn, I appreciate the time. I have an etiquette question though.

I'm not sure how old this camera is. I bought it, and it's motor drive used. Is it too new to be considered on this forum? The date stamp inside is an upside-down triangle then 12 0 10.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron,

Your F-1N was manufactured in December 1981. The upside down triangle is a 'V', the following numerals give the month - in form 01 to 12 - the last numerals are an internal factory code. There have been so many wild ideas of what they mean that it is best to ignore them. There can be a letter indicating the factory at the end of the sequence. In 1986 this factory identifier was moved to the front of the code.

Using V=81, W=82, X=83.....A=86, you get the picture, you can thus easily date Canon FL,FD lenses, F,A and T series cameras and all accessories that are date stamped.

The F-1N has got to be a Classic by any definition. It is easy to work on - not that they often go wrong - and are still very usable. Mind you as Canon produced auto focus FD lenses in 1981 and Pentax did the same for the K mount in 1982 (ME F) I guess that the purists will want all FD and K mount bodies banished.

Your advance lever is a die-cast affair with a circular depression that takes the face screw - yes? What is the diameter of this depression/hole? In the FTb the diameter of the face screw is 13.3mm and a wave washer fits between screw and lever. The FTb-n is completely different as the advance lever is just a thin metal finger with the plastic thumb grip held by a screw. the wave washer is covered by a recessed chrome disc and the 9mm face screw sits in a black plastic disc that sits on the chrome disc. From what I can see from photos, your camera is nearer the original FTb.

I only have the new type screw and the plastic disc as just use the lever and the chrome disc in my modification, keeping the original face screw.

If your measurement of the recess in your lever is around 13mm, I am sure I can lay my hands on a FTb screw for you to try.

Glenn.

Ron Mott

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn,
I'll send you measurments and digital photos of the arm and the shaft it fits. I have micrometers so it won't be a guess. On my cast aluminum advance lever there is a steel insert that is the boss for the shaft. It's held into the lever by three countersunk screws. That shaft appears to take a 3mm screw of unknown (to me) pitch.

Mechanically, I would guess that there is supposed to be a wave washer also but it's not as complicated as my A-1, who's lever swings out approx. 30 degrees before it engages the advance mechanism.

The only service manual I have found is the original F-1 version on Christian Rollinger's Canon site ( http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm ).

That is a great site but no one has digitized the F-1N service manual that I can find. I'll make measurements and try the /image {filename} function on this forum. If it doesn't work I'll forward both to your email address.

Thanks again, Ron

Ron Mott

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Advance Lever measurements are as follows:
1. Advance Lever Counterbore / .503 in = ~12.8 mm
/image AdvanceLever-Top /image AdvanceLever-Bottom
2. Advance shaft (on camera)
- Across the flats .137 in = ~3.5mm
- Long axis .175 in = ~4.5 mm

/image AdvanceLeverShaft

There is a plastic ring that fits under the lever that
is not in this picture but I have no exploded parts
drawing to identify if anything else is missing, i.e. wave washers, etc.

Hope this helps, Ron

Ron Mott

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, hopefully here are the images.
/image {Advance Lever Top}
/image {Advance Lever Bottom}
/image {Advance Shaft}

Ron Mott

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,
The post engine isn't prompting me for the images so I'll send them to your email.
Thanks, Ron

Ron Mott

Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,
Just so you know. Until I get a proper advance lever screw/thrust washer I am using a 2.5mm screw of unknown pitch, washer and lock washer to secure the advance lever. The only 3mm screws I have found are .5 pitch and are too large.

The inside measurement of the advance shaft (thread-crest) is .072in ~ 1.83mm give or take .001. Also, my caliper the last time was .003 fat. The advance lever depression was actually .5in ~12.7 mm not 12.8 as reported.

Just an FYI and Thanks again for your help! Ron

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration