Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Another Canon FD 100mm f2.8 Question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Another Canon FD 100mm f2.8 Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Jones

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankyou for answering my previous question. When I first fitted this lens to my AE-1 Program, the shutter clicked but the sequence of mirror/ shutter/ mirror didn't happen. When I removed the lens, the shutter fired. When I put the lens back on and tried again, it was sluggish but did fire, and then after this it seemed normal. I left it a couple of days and tried again and it was sluggish the first time I pressed the shutter release (not as bad as before) and then ok.

I wonder if this problem is serious or will it resolve itself with normal use? Maybe the lens had been standing a long time before I acquired it. I also wouldn't like to strain the camera mechanism.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check that the rear of the lens does not exhibit signs of being dropped, ie do operating levers look bent/misplaced? Clean out rear of mount with a stiff/flat artist's brush and then attach lens. Move aperture ring off 'A', use stopdown lever to cycle the lens over the whole aperture range. Do this several times and observe how the lens actually stops down, ie is it sluggish, does it jam. The mount in the 100/2.8, if it is the new FD model, is the 1.4 type. This is the better ball bearing filled item and I have never had them 'seize up'.

I have used 25 year old NOS and well used FD lenses that have stood for years, never had this type of problem. Hence my wondering about damage to mount.

David Jones

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 01:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankyou for your reply. It is indeed the ball bearing type and there is no obvious damage to the levers etc., and it is in very nice condition optically and cosmetically. I bought it on the dreaded eBay and it was not very well packed for the post. It was in its hard case but then just in a rolled over padded jiffy bag. Also there is a gap in the case so it could move up and down. It has both caps.

I did your test with the stop down lever and also observed the iris when fixed to the camera and firing the shutter, and it seemed to work fine. I'm sure if I leave it again the initial stickiness will return.

Maybe if I just use the stop down button on the camera before I start shooting, to make sure it is free, it will do the job.

I would like to add that I am not one for doing my own repairs but just needed an expert's opinion to arm myself with if I need to to take it to be repaired.

Thankyou again,
Dave

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

Not much to get displaced on the mechanical side by rough handling, except a coil spring. There is a large circlip that locates the inner actuating ring. I suppose it could have been displaced and was causing the ring to bind - highly unlikely. From your description of fault, I think dried out lube on the inner actuating ring is the most likely cause. A good workout may just free it up.

Glenn.

David Jones

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankyou Glenn. I will stop worrying and start using it!
Dave

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration