Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Restoring Hasselblad 500cm Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Restoring Hasselblad 500cm « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waqas

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just purchased a Hassy from KEH. IT was bargain and I bought it for a great price and although mechanically it looks great, it is a bit beat up.

The pain on the tripod mount on the bottom is really worn. I'm guessing the black paint from micro-tools will work fine, right?

Also the chrome on some parts has worn off, can I just use some paint to touch it up? Is that the best thing to do?

And the leatherette is coming off, what can I use to take the current glue off of it? I already have leatherette glue. And I might just replace the leatheratte all together, any where I can get that (didn't see it at micro-tools)?

Waqas

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, just found the leatherette on micro-tools, which type is the closest match to the hassy?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to www.CameraLeather.com for a really good match.

You can get auto chrome touch up paint. Quite frankly painted bits on chrome look awful. I just polish the whole surface out and leave it at that.

Waqas Farid

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW thanks for the link! That site is awesome. So many choices and once can do so many colors. Sweet! I think I might just go with walnut in the goat skin line. Do you think that would look bad?

What do you use to polish chrome? And won't that just show the brass?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use an auto chrome cleaner. It is a paste and looks like a tube of tooth paste. It is called 'Auto Solvol', made in Germany I think. Yes the brassing shows through, but when polished it is not as noticeable. A fine wax polish keeps the polish for a long time.

Waqas Farid

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn! What do you usually do about dings in the chrome? And what black paint should I use to repaint the bottom tripod mount area?

thanks again for all your help!

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have painted really bad ones 'Satin Black'. When I do this I fill the dings with epoxy filler, otherwise I just leave as is.

I use acrylic auto paint in matt or satin black for many complete repaint jobs. A large spray can lasts ages and the one I use is a good match for Canon FD kit - my main area of restoration.
However the Microtools matt and glossy black fine enamels are very good - a careful mix of the two will give a nice semigloss sheen. You know, that typical high class camera finish.

I apply the paint with an airbrush, fitted with a course spray head/nozzle. It will brush, but on large areas spraying is easier. If brushing, use the largest soft brush that the job will allow. I use good quality artists brushes.

Waqas Farid

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm, I really love the chrome finish on the hassy. Couldn't I fill the dings with epoxy, sand it down (increasing from 400grit to 2000 grit) and then paint it over with some chrome automotive paint? I wouldn't do it on all parts of the chrome because there is only one area (around the prism finder) where there are dings. As long as it looked close to the actual chrome, I'd be pretty happy.

And what epoxy do you use?

Well I plan to get the paint-- I also have some fd lenses that could use some touching up! My leica R 90 elmarit wouldn't mind some touch ups either.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here in the UK there is an enamel paint made by 'Humbrol' for people who model figures of early soldiers. It is a silver paint, but you buff it up after it has dried to a really shiny finish. Perhaps you can find something similar.

I never had much luck with auto chrome paints, however I have not looked at developments over the last 5/6 years. So things may have improved a lot.

Would not advise using any abrasive on the chrome. The scratches do not polish out, no matter what you do. I cut the filler back with a model knife, before it is fully set and a spot of acetone can also be wiped over the filler to smooth the surface.

The epoxy I have is a system for building wooden boats manufactured by West. Basically it is a two part liquid adhesive, to which you add an inert powder to make the filler. However I found that I could add the powder to any slow setting epoxy adhesive and get a good filler. Do not use the rapid setting varieties, they do not set hard and if the filler goes off too quick you have a job cutting it back. Of course where you can 'sand' down, this does not matter.

There is one technique that may work, I use it to fill in missing areas of vulcanite on Leica cameras. You mix a small amount of enamel paint into the slow setting epoxy. Now obviously I use black enamels on the Leicas, but you could use one of the chrome enamels that modellers use. These paints are heavily pigmented, so the filled area will polish up - even when mixed with epoxy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration