Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Patching Legendary Light Leaks? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Patching Legendary Light Leaks? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles Miller

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I had to find out for myself, so I recently picked up a Kodak Monitor Six-16, in spite of the warnings from some other vintage camera guys.

So, the Monitor looks great, is reasonably functional; but, just as I was warned, the thing has some major light leaks. The cheap bellows on the Monitor are perforated in at least 5 places... I stopped counting at 5 because all the light leaks were blinding me.

QUESTION: Is there any use in repairing the Monitor bellows? If so, what do I use? Some sort of opaque vinyl patching goo? I'd appreciate your help, gentlemen! Thanks!

charlie

Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have repaired pinhole leaks (at the corners) as follows; open the camera front and back, push a common pin down through the hole until I can see the pin on the inside, coat the pin point with black silicone rubber (RTV), pull the pin back up through the hole, Put a smear of RTV on the outside, let the camera sit open for sveral days to allow the RTV to cure thoroughly. I have done several bellows successfully by this method but I don't know how long it will last. Long enough to evaluate the camera and see if bellows replacement is worth while.

M Currie

Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never done it, but I've heard some people mention "liquid electrical tape" as a good patch. I have some which I use for its intended purpose, and it looks as if the flexibility and opacity would be suitable.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration