Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet shutter not firing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canonet shutter not firing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a nice little Canonet in pretty good condition off eBay a few days ago, the only listed problem was the shutter not firing. I looked it up and apparently it was a common problem in the Canonet series from what I could find. I've had a look at it and the shutter indeed seems to be the only problem, but for the life of me I dont know how to get at it. I'm not sure how to remove the lens that seems to house it, or go in from the camera body and pull everything to bits...

This's my first attempt at a repair job, so any advice would be rather welcome

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Alex,

An excellent article is available right on this site:

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/canonetblade.html

Good luck,

Jan

Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 03:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! It turns out I was able to remove the back element just by getting a screwdriver into one of the nooks and unscrewing, the shutter fires perfectly now after an application of nail-polish remover. A bit got on the apeture blades (being behind the shutter in mine), so I'm waiting to see if it does any damage when it's all dried.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be careful when using nail-polish remover in situ, as both the Acetone and Acetate versions will readily attack plastic. Some also contain a small percentage of 'oil', which can cause problems if the remover gets on the exposed optic surfaces.

WernerJB

Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 04:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On some shutters both shutter and aperture blades are coated with black matt coating (I have seen this on some lines of Seiko shutters, namely on the FLA in Minolta Hi-Matics, Oly 35 SPs, but also on Copal auto/flywheel types). These surfaces are softened when drenched with acetone, your repair will then very probably come to a sudden end, so do be careful to pour nail polish remover into a mechanism with vulnerable parts!
By the way, spreading grime and goo inside a camera does neither really solve shutter nor aperture problems but only postpone a thorough cleaning for later, your shutter will definitely quit again after a not so long while.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration