Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Best lubricant for shutters Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Best lubricant for shutters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

kyoritsu

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Micro-tools sells a NYOIL shutter oil. Has anyone tried it? How does it compare with WD40, or other light oils? Which is the best oil to use for shutters?

charlie

Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything is better than WD40, except maybe molasses.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nyoil is very good for camera work I have found, but may be too viscous for some non focal plane shutters. I only work on cameras fitted with focal plane shutters, thus cannot comment on it's use on leaf shutters.

Nobody would recommend using WD40 straight from the can on a camera. However, you can get a usable lubricant from the fluid with a little preparation. Very useful in an emergency - I re-lubed a rather sick A1 whilst in the middle of the Atlas Mountains (sadly our Berber guide was unable to direct us to the nearest Micro-Tools), but the camera survived the experience and worked perfectly for rest of the trip.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have said this for years, and I'll say it again...and you all can throw rotten fruit and garbage at me if you wish: If you'll separate WD40 into two layers, the upper layer is a fine light oil suitable for use in watches, cameras, other precision machines--sewing machines, routers, you name it. As with any oil, don't overapply it, and you will be just fine. The paraffin and other junk in WD40 are what you don't need. I'm looking at a pimiento jar full of the stuff I separated maybe 8 or 9 years ago, and it is still light and nice.

Jon

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nyoil will work in leaf shutters also. However, most leaf shutters need very, very, very, little oil. Most can run fine "dry" - but with age they sometimes need a little oil. It seems the older the shutter is the more likely it needs a light lube at the pivot points and bearings. IMHO

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remember that 'lubricating a shutter' does NOT mean applying any lubricant on the shutter leaves. The only parts which might need some lubrication are the escapement and selftimer gears (actually I use NyOil), and maybe the speed cams (heat resistant grease or silicone grease).

I have a copy of an old Prontor shutter repair manual and it does NOT mention any lubricants, except for the surface of the speed cam plate (they recommend to apply a very thin layer of grease).

The repair manual for Compur shutters mentions several different special lubricants. Most of them are applied on the lens mount of shutters for interchangeable lenses. A certain lubricant (no specs available) should be applied on the cams of the speed cam disk.

WD40 right off the can is great for maintenance of machines and motors since it will leave a sticky greasy layer which will reduce friction and prevent rust. But for precision stuff this is much too sticky. Keep the WD40 can out of reach (bury it in the yard or something) as long as you work on cameras.

M Currie

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now I'm going to have to go out and squirt some WD40 into a jar just to see what happens.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll join you in the stocks Jon! - Separated WD40 is my Lube of choice for the A Series mirror damper squeak. On really heavily used A1s it lasts much longer than Nyoil.

You can speed the separation by placing the jar in the freezer. I draw off the 'supernatant' layer using a large hypo and needle, scrounged from the local horse doctor.

Will

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok.. How does one separate WD-40 into pure oil? Thanks. :-)

Will

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If using aerosol can, spray a quantity of liquid into a small, clean, lidded glass jar. Using the plastic pipe in nozzle will keep contents in jar! Place in fridge/freezer and leave to separate. Otherwise just leave on workshop shelf for a few days. Remove the nice clear top layer of oil and place in clean container. If you can get to use a small laboratory centrifuge, the job gets even simpler. - Any chemistry students in the family?

David Ritchie

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One easy step you can add to what Glenn suggested, is to strain the oil through a paper coffee filter soon after taking it from the frige.This will remove the solids that have formed at low temp. My bottle of strained material is completely clear after sitting at room temp for a few months.I have used this material on some parts which were then kept in a tightly closed container with no formation of fog on the glass or container.

Will

Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 06:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn, David - I will give this a try.

Will

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used the light fraction of WD-40 to fill in edge separation on a cemented triplet before.

Being a chemistry geek, I centrifuged it but I'm sure it would have settled OK in a day or two just by gravity.

John Farrell

Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use "Singer Sewing Machine" oil.

BrianShaw

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(deep sigh)

Arnold

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 05:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
I'm a newbie in camera repair but as a watchmaker, I can say tat the very best and finest oils for precision mechanisms are, by far, the Moebius oils, they're used at the 100$ less watches till the 100.000$ plus ones...so tye're quite good..
9XXX series are the syntetic ones, in spite to the ones from animal origin, they can be used without problems on plastic parts ,do not gum with time, they do not evaporate and they mainin an even lubrication for his entire live (about 20 years or more in an hermetically closed mechanism...quite enough, altough maybe less in a camera and I would recommend a service, cleaning and relube-adjustment every five ones)
the standards in the watch industry are the 9010 and 9020, the later one a bit more dense, for higher loads.
9415 is an excelent fabulous oil-grease for escapments (a really delicate point in a watch) it is a grease, so it will not spill out, but at higher pressures (when in contact with other pieces) it become an oil allowing a smooth lubrication, returning to their previous state after this.
8XXX are oils and greases from animal or vegetal origin, the oils I would recommend only on larger mechanisms like the ones found in grandfather and shelf clocks, altough the greases are quite good for use even on the tinyest mechanism of a wristwatch, specially the ones loaded with molybdenium or graphite.
hope this have helped.

http://www.ofrei.com/page246.html

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration