Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F & Photomic Project Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon F & Photomic Project « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlan_Tim

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone:
Well maybe the bug has bit, or I am just nuts?
But after much {(painful)headache} deliberation I have come to the decision to embark into restoring my Nikon F camera, and the Photomic finder as well.
This camera has gone with me everywhere, for the last 15 years, after I picked it up for a few bucks from a fella, who wanted a point n shoot. He complained it never took a good picture!
Now after a few hundred rolls or more, dropped once or twice, sent it swimming once, (did you know Nikons float?), I find that my companion no longer wants to play with me the way I want it to. Shutter is sluggish, Meter is erratic, Light leaks everywhere, and the scuffs, and marks, chips in the paint, 1, 2, 4, 8,& 15 speeds all operate at 1/15th, 30 and 60 ok, 125, 250,& 500 all at 125th, and 1000 some wierd 450th thing. Gummy gooey I am sure inside, and if I had all my marbles in place upstairs, I would send my companion to a good camera shop, and empty my pockets out.
But I used to do delicate work, rebuilding meter movements, (remember those?) still have all the tools and then some, so figure this is a good time to give my hand some practice between the shaking and tremors.
So I ask, who thinks I am nuts, and who thinks I should attack the innards of my best friend?
Harlan (Tim)

Harlan

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well the repairs are completed now, and now am looking everything over to consider a full restoration. Many thoughts now of the hows to.
Tim

Marco GANDOLFO

Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations on a good job well done, clearly involving both heart and mind. I've enjoyed and loved my F for over 20 years now, and perhaps can understand some of you feel for her.
Given the time, maybe you'll consider sharing with others some of your findings and solutions.
And recollections and experiences.
Best regards.

M Currie

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was a pretty fast turnover. Congratulations from another F-holic, running two FTn's as regular cameras, and I just bought another one from a fellow on this forum. That one apparently didn't float as well as yours, but it's slowly recovering. I've upgraded its condition from critical to serious, and I'm happy enough because the meter is good. I still can't get the self timer to run though. I might have to take it apart gear by gear. That and a lagging first curtain at 1/1000 are the only remaining challenges.

Since mine are decent but definitely utilitarian, I haven't tried anything in the way of restoration, but look forward to further updates on yours.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration