Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Build auto collimator from an Exakta Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Build auto collimator from an Exakta « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. I refer to the article on this site about building an auto collimator from an old Exakta (https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/collimator.html).
I think it's a wonderful idea and am going to try this. (An old Exakta Varex IIb with tele lens is already on the way.)
What I'm wondering now, is where to get a decent sized two-way mirror needed to replace the Exakta mirror. Apparently some Polaroid camera did have one...? Or any place where see-through mirrors can be bought?
Also, I never worked on an Exakta. Is it going to be difficult to get to the mirror and replace it?
Any suggestions or help related to my collimator project are greatly appreciated.
Gordon

Henry

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was the one who wrote that. I still think it a cool idea. But I stumbled upon a used Gokosha and the exercise with the Exakta became pointless.

You can get those mirrors from Edmund Scientific.

Henry

rick

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently built a collimator out of a Pentacon body shell and a 135mm lens that I didn't like (and a tabletop tripod that i didn't like either)... glued a grid-scribed, split image groundglass into the focal plane and epoxied the lens at infinity. there's no mirror or finder on the body, i might try adding the semisilvered mirror some day.... mainly i just wanted something that i knew was always in correct adjustment so i didn't have to worry whether my 'collimator' lens was correct at infinity when i used it.

here's where you can get the semisilvered mirror stock:

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3043359&bhcd2=1148769348

Gordon

Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for the answers.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration