Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Small storage containers for cameras/... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Small storage containers for cameras/lenses? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Arnold Harris

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have accumulated a collection of 42 Voigtlander Vitessa-T 25mm rangefinder cameras, each with its own 50mm normal lens, plus a couple of dozen auxiliary lenses of all kinds.

While I await going through all these, one item at a time performing CLA work, and rebuilds where necessary and/or feasible, I am considering some inexpensive and none-damaging way to store each item separately.

A leather repair man, also a camera collector, who has helped me repair some of the eveready and lens cases that came with these cautioned me that leather absorbs moisture, and that such cases ought to be used for storage of cameras and lenses only when they are out being used for photography. Otherwise, he said, moisture from the leather can cause problems with the cameras.

I am especially concerned with fungus finding developing in moist dark atmospheres and finding its way onto lens glass.

In addition, it is easier handling and storing Vitessa-Ts when the lenses are removed (as long as you are careful not to put fingerprints on the exposed shutter leaves).

It seems to me there must be low-cost boxes with separable tops, made in just the right size for the mostly Compur Skoparet (35mm), Color-Skopar (50mm), Dynaret (100mm) and Super-Dynaret (135mm lenses commissioned for the Vitessa-Ts by Voigtlander, plus the Steinheil, Rodenstock and Schneider/Kreuznach lens that also fit these cameras.

But if such containers are used, would it be a wise idea to chop a hole in each one so the lens box would not be airtight?

As for the camera, I assume the one item that ought to be protected from direct sunlight when in storage would be the selenium cell for the exposure meter, and that probably can be handled by a small strip of black tape.

What else do I need to know about all this, that I didn't know enough to ask?

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI

Doug Wilson

Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One solution is the variety of "throw-away" plastic food storage containers such as Dixie, Glad, etc., sold in most grocery stores. They come in many diffent sizes and shapes. Drop a fresh desicant silica gel pack in each container to absorb any moisture and seal. Don't ventilate; you're trying to isolate the lens and/or camera body from the environment.

charlie

Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not an expert but I know some plastics "outgas" and leave a film (like on car windshields). Maybe someone else here has used a particular brand successfully (or not) and be more specific on this subject.

Roy Randall

Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like Doug I use plastic containers, usually the type that are used for lunch boxes or food storage. If they are too large I use paper kitchen towel to act as dividers and provide some shock protection. As he says, no holes, and use silica gel. As regards plastics 'out gassing', those containers designed for food usage should be perfectly safe.
Roy

Arnold Harris

Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have successfully utilized silica gel packs as desiccants for boxes of primers used in reloading of pistol cartridges. The ones I have seen can be dried out by warming them.

Small food containers -- plastic or even ziplock bags -- seem best ideas for camera parts storage. And their transparency eliminates need for container labels.

What about using UV to defeat fungus before it etches lenses? Let the lenses sit in bright sunlight, or use special lamps?

Anything else related to these topics that I may have missed?

Thank you all your help.

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI

Andrew

Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 05:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,
I came across this site while searching for data / sourses for my Rolleiflex.

Plastics such as polypropylene used for food containers, asborb moisture. So I'm not sure you are improving the storage condition compared to leather (obviously silica type desiccants are a worthwhile addition to any storage).
I can't give a comparison about how much the plastics absorb compared to leather, but I just wanted to let you know.

Kind regards,
Andrew

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration