Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super ASA settings off Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Pentax ME Super ASA settings off « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey Shevlen
Tinkerer
Username: Pho88

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi-
My first post so be gentle...

I just bought the camera and everything seemed to be working well. No shutter problems, the metering seemed to be working etc.

I shot the first roll at 800 ASA. Got the negatives back and they are fine.

My second roll was 200 ASA and I noticed that the metering didn't seem to make the 2 stops adjustment. OK, something's wrong...

A day later I pick up the camera and the exposures seem to be set around 200 ASA, where they should be, so it's working again. Weird. It seems like it takes a day for the camera to make the ASA adjustment!

When I play with the ASA settings, moving them around from 200 to 1600 for instance, there is no corresponding adjustment in the metering however. The meter works, but it seems like it's stuck at 200 ASA (for the short term).

Ring any bells?

BTW, the ASA dial works fine when setting exposure compensation (and the LED flashes like it's supposed to.)

Any help is appreciated...

Glenn Middleton
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 18

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try rotating the ASA dial back and forth a few times, this may clean the contact pads. Search the recent archives on this matter as it seems to be a common ME problem. It has been commented on recently, by someone with far more knowledge on the ME than I have.

Don Coppola
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a guess but maybe the asa ring nut is a bit loose. Lift the rewnd knob & tighten the nut a bit. There's a washer under the nut that adjusts the pressure for the comp. settings. At the 1x setting of the asa dial, can you get to the 25 setting?

Jeffrey Shevlen
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your replies. I just had a chance to look at the camera tonight, and now I've done something really stupid...

Stupid thing:
I took off the rewind knob, swung the back door closed so it's locked, then I pushed the rewind pin/shaft back into the camera.

Now I'm locked out. The shaft is rattling around in the camera and I can't reattach the knob to open the back door. I'd laugh if I didn't feel like barfing...

Any suggestions? My main concern is keeping the camera steady so I don't knock out the shutter blades.

I've got the number of a repair place nearby...

Doug Wilson
Tinkerer
Username: Loosecanon

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 06:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Insert a pick with a 90 degree bend into the rewind shaft hole and lift. You may need to rotate as well. You can find pick sets at most electronics/automotive/hobby stores for a few bucks.

Jeffrey Shevlen
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Doug-
A dental pick did the trick. Lord loves Active Surplus. It looked pretty dark for a moment there...
-------------

WRT to the original issue:

Glenn, rotating the dial has not worked.

Glenn and Doug: the contact pads may well be the problem, but until I have a decent tool to take the dial off I won't be doing any more probing. I have a few other projects that will require similar tools so it's in the works... slowly.

There is a slightly gritty feel to the dial so I think a cleaning is a good idea regardless.

Thanks for your replies.

I may be back in a couple of weeks...

Pho88
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi-
Back again... I got the nut off the ASA assembly, cleaned everything up and reassembled it. No change. The meter is stuck on ASA1600 readings now.

The washer Don spoke of seems to be properly crimped and applying the correct pressure.

I assume the trouble is deeper in the guts of the camera. I've stopped short of popping the top off the camera (I need a friction driver first.)

Any suggestions?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration