Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Askania Rangefinder Calibration Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Askania Rangefinder Calibration « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graeme Lugg
Tinkerer
Username: Grug

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old (1950's) Askania rangefinder accessory (the type that fits into the accessory shoe on older cameras) made by Bodenseewerk in Germany. It works ok except that the indicated distance to the subject is less than the actual distance. I have been able to adjust the vertical alignment via the two small holes above and below the viewfinder. But I am at a total loss as to how you calibrate the distance on these rangefinders, or in fact how you disassemble them at all. Any help or insights would therefore be much appreciated.

Glenn Middleton
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 33

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many have an adjustment 'screw' in the centre of the dial, this may be hidden under a metal nameplate etc. As I have no direct knowledge of your instrument, I am afraid I cannot offer any positive help.

Graeme Lugg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your response, Glenn. I have attached a photo of this rangefinder. As can be seen, there is a smooth cap in the centre of the dial, but I can't seem to be able to remove it - any advice here would be welcome. There is also a square recess to the right of the viewfinder. At first I thought this was the adjusting screw, but it looks like a solid pin of some sort, slightly domes in shape. The two holes at the very end are for vertical alignment. So, again any further help is most welcome.
Askania Rangefinder Attachment

Glenn Middleton
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Obviously not one of the more obvious types. The case looks to be of simple construction. Is the foot held on by a coupe of screws? If foot held by screws, remove them and see if the outer case will just pull off. Am I right in assuming no screws in front face of unit?

That 'pin' is a puzzle, it must be exposed for a purpose. Can you push it in, does the pin somehow disengage the dial to allow you to reset it? ie to calibrate focus on object at infinity, push in pin and set dial to infinity mark. Repeat at a known close distance.

The index mark may be a screw, but I have fallen for this one before - only to find when I have knackered the slot that the little sod was riveted on.

Again sorry for the neg ramblings - the case must come apart by an obvious route, there isn't even any leatherette hiding the join.

Graeme Lugg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are no screws of any type visible anywhere. The foot is unusual in that it has a spring-loaded ball bearing in its center (which causes a nasty groove along the middle of the accessory shoe, but that’s another story) – however, no screws at all. The main case is a single housing (top, front, sides and bottom, no joins and no screws) and houses only the two front lenses and the foot. I tried undoing the index mark, but it wouldn’t budge, and as you suggested Glenn, it felt as if it would give way, rather than undo. I can’t get any movement at all from the ‘pin’ in the square recess. I applied pressure to it while turning the dial, but this had no effect. So I’m at a loss. If there is a clever knack, it’s not obvious – at least not to me.

I intend to keep trying and will post any useful findings. Thanks for the suggestions.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration