Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon Canonet Self-Timer Stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon Canonet Self-Timer Stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graytest
Tinkerer
Username: Graytest

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a used Canon Canonet (model from 1961, f/1.9).
After I got it I pulled the self-timer to max and now it's stuck.
I've pressed the shutter button, but since I can't wind the trigger cause it's also stuck (I guess it happened when the self-timer stuck), that's not working.

Anybody know how to get the self-timer back to it's original position?

Henry
Username: Henry

Post Number: 21

Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatever you do...do NOT force it. The tiny gears are delicate. Drop a few drops of Ronsonol into the slot the self-timer lever travels in. That alone, or sometimes with the slightest persuasion, the lever should go back to its rest position.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a guess but this camera may need to think an exposure is posible. Set the film speed to a high number and point at a bright light and press the shutter release.. Also check where the frame counter is set. If the camera thinks it at the end of a roll it may not fire. Good luck.

Mdevonald
Tinkerer
Username: Mdevonald

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have a similar aged camera with a stuck self timer. seems to be jammed solid

Could te shutter be stuck do you think?

Mdevonald
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry. I followed your advice and used a tiny drop of a very light oil (3 in 1, can’t seem to find any lighter fuel) on the self timer lever (not sure if it will leave a residue, probably it will). It didn't appear to have any effect work so I returned the camera to the cupboard. Determined not to let it beat me, I tried again the next day and with a small amount of pressure the self time came free and after a couple of light taps of the camera on the window sill the shutter fired and now both the self timer and shutter appear to be working. Bare in mind the self timer lever has been stuck since I had the camera over 6 months go (and likely some time before that too), so you can imagine my surprise after the self timer released that it appeared to be working. I am about to run a test film to see what happens.

Henry
Username: Henry

Post Number: 39

Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fantastic, you'll love the camera...a true classic.

Mdevonald
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I knew it was too good to be true, as I loaded a film I realised the aperture was not functioning on closer inspection I could see some residue of some sort on the aperture blades. So the oil that freed the self timer was now on the aperture. The aperture was stuck at about f8. So I loaded the film anyway and took a whole role in manual. The shutter works fine and I was relatively pleased with my photos.

Subsequently I tried freeing up the aperture with an electronics cleaner, because apparently it leaves no residue, but if you look closely there is a very slight residue on the inside of the rear lens element. Anyway it didn’t work

I think I will have to remove the rear element and give the aperture a Ronsonol clean.

Which of the rings, labelled 1 and 2 in the photo, do I need to loosen?
Canonet rear lens element and housing

Ksl
Tinkerer
Username: Ksl

Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi :Mdevonald
see you on Monday , I show you the way to do so.

ks

Ben_hutcherson
Tinkerer
Username: Ben_hutcherson

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most electronics cleaners are some sort of halocarbon with a good amount of mineral oil mixed in. The one I have used is 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane, although in the past they were often carbon tetrachloride.

Electronics cleaner has its uses, but never anywhere near cameras or any other fine mechanical devices. The mineral oil goes everywhere, acting like a dust magnet that will gum things up in no time.

I also have a collection of old telephones. My first one had a stuck dial, and I attempted to remedy it by spraying the whole thing down with electronics cleaner. It worked great for about a month, and then ended up stuck again. I had to take it apart and clean everything, a job which was made more complicated by the mineral oil all over the place. Upon reassembly with a small amount of properly placed lubricant, it worked great, and has for over two years now, even though that phone seldom gets used.

Mdevonald
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers KS, If I'd thought about it I should have asked you first!!

Mdevonald
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ben

I have heard of people who use electronics cleaner with good results on cameras. I did test spray the one I have on a piece of glass before trying in the camera; it appeared to evaporate to nothing. I guess that is not the case inside a lens.

Anyway I have found someone who can help me take it apart and sort it out

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 45

Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is electronic cleaner on the market that can also be used for optics, but this is usually said on the spray can, and even then I would call it a last straw, as the debris it takes off from what you want to clean must end somewhere (quite logical, isn't it?); dirt, goo, oil, grime does not simply evaporate. Even little wonders are uncommon!

Mdevonald
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wernerjb- You are right of course. It was a bit stupid, but it all went wrong when I used the wrong oil to loosen the self timer to start with. Going to open it up and see if that works.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 46

Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again, I found these pieces of advice very helpful; Henry's article on the subject matter:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/canonetblade.html
and Rick Oleson's notes & photographs on the Canonet: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-30.html
Maybe you'll also appreciate their tips and tricks, W.

Mdevonald
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks very helpful and I do have a QL17 but it ain't broke so I'm not fixining it.

The original Canonet is a little different, and there is nothing like as much advice available for that camera. Though Henry's and other's advice is indeed very helpful

So thanks indeed

Mdevonald
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 04:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to KS, the aperture has been cleaned and we're up and running again.

Thanks to all for the advice

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration