Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh KR10SP Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Ricoh KR10SP « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just picked up a Excellent ++ Ricoh KR10SP with a Rikenon P 50MM F2 lens and motor drive, but not working at a local pawn shop. Paid around $27.00 for it. When I got it home I swabbed out the battery chamber with Radio Shack contact cleaner, great stuff, placed the batteries in but nothing happened. Rather disappointed! Replaced the batteries but still no soap. After examining the battery compartment, I noticed that rather than 3V the camera actually takes 6V. One set of batteries needed to be turned around. When I did that, bang she sprang into life in all functions, P, SP, manual, etc. Wow this is great. However when I placed the lens it, it appears that the mirror is hanging up and will not complete the exposure cycle unless I loosen the lens. Wierd! I placed a Pentax lens on it and it does the same thing. Both lenses have the "P" marking on them. However, when I placed a Sears 135MM lens on it, Pentax mount, also having the "P" marking, it works just fine. I've noticed that the Rikenon and the Pentax lenses both have a flange that the Sears lens doesn't. All three of the lenses work on my KR10 Super however. Does anyone have any suggestions other than cutting off the extra flanges on the two normal lenses? Thank you, Harlee

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry, I ment a KR30SP not a KR10SP.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 50

Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is quite a common problem with certain M42 lenses that protrude into the mirror chamber, beyond the female mount threads. I came across a site the other day; that actually gave the maximum length of the male thread, that can be used to ensure these lenses work on every make of camera. Unfortunately I did not bookmark it - but seem to recall length was given as 5.5mm. Any length over this - threaded or not, will give problems on certain cameras - even from same manufacturer. I do recall that specific mention was made of this in the Praktica-mat manual.

Measure up the lens that works and go shopping for similar spec alternatives.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I laid in bed I was thinking through the problem. I can conceive that certain off brand lenses might produce a problem, but the Rikenon which is made by Ricoh, or at least under the Ricoh name, shouldn't. In the past I've had a couple of Minolta AF cameras that would not trip the aperature lever in the lens. For whatever reason the lever in the camera got bent and was not connecting with the camera's aperature lever. With just a very slight bend to the lever in the camera, it started working again, in both cameras.

Now I'm wondering if perhaps the aperature actuating lever in the camera is hanging up on the two lenses with the extra flange which portrudes near the aperture lever in the the lens. The camera works fine with an older PK lens without the extra flange. All this to say, I'm going to examine the lever in the camera to see if possibly it got bent or is misaligned, and bend it very slightly so that it misses the extra flang found on the two normal lenses and see if that might cure the problem. As I said this cured two Minolta cameras, and with luck it may this one as well. I'll post my theory with the results. Harlee

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 51

Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harlee,

Disregard my above comments. I always take 'P' to mean Pentax M42. Quite obviously (to me now) you are referring to PK bayonet mount lenses. Got carried away, should have Googled the camera type before I replied.

A good while ago I did find a detailed PK mount spec, complete with dimensions on one of the Pentax sites. I was looking at fitting Pentax bellows to a Sigma SD10 - The Sigma SA mount is basically a PK bayonet, with Canon EOS type autofocus pickups. If you find the spec, you will be able to check clearances in the body.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I tried bending the aperature lever a tad, but unfortunately that didn't do it. I think that if I took my dreme tool and cut off the protruding flang it would probably work, but I wasn't ready to do that to my Pentax lens, so I returned the camera and got my money back. I actually did the pawn shop a favor by getting the camera working for them and suggested that they try a couple of other K type lenses which they have in their case, until till they find one that works and sell it with the body. I liked the KR-10SP, and will look around and find another one sometime in the future. Harlee

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harlee -- I know I'm too late (I was out of town), but for future reference I have had 3 Ricoh cameras which behaved this way. In each case, the mirror had "slid downhill" (for lack of a better term) and was just touching the back of the lens at the rearmost group. It only happened with some lenses, just as you say. Some lenses protrude further into the camera than others. I fixed it by removing and regluing the mirror(s).

Hope this helps. The KR-30SP is a fine camera.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Donnie, I'm thinking of returning to the pawn shop to see if they still have the KR-30 Super, and then try a couple of different lenses on it - they have a number of Ricohs there with lenses. The "shifting" mirror makes sense. That's something to keep in mind in the future. Harlee

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I ment a KR30 SP, not super. Harlee

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration