Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Accessing the Yashica Electro 35 shut... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Accessing the Yashica Electro 35 shutter blades « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barronchung
Tinkerer
Username: Barronchung

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I recently acquired an Electro 35 GSN from eBay in as-is condition, and as it turned out, a loose screw had gotten trapped in the shutter cocking mechanism, and also a couple shutter blades have come loose. I'm assuming the culprit screw was previously holding the blades in place.

Anyways I've disassembled the front of the lens as far as Matt Denton's last photo here (http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/electro_inside/index.html), and also peeled back the leatherette to detach the lens assembly from the body. However, I can't see any obvious way to open the shutter assembly to access the blades so I can put them back. Unfortunately I know from experience that taking out the wrong screw will cause me a lot of headaches, and I was wondering if anyone happened to know where to unscrew next, or if anyone had a disassembly instruction they could share? I have previously dissassembled a couple cameras down to the blades, so I'm not afraid of tinkering this far, I just don't want anything to go "sploing" which didn't need to be unscrewed. Thanks!!

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 33

Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Study everything in this http://personal.inet.fi/koti/picnet/electro/page_01.htm
and look at that https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/yashicalynx.html .
If you still think you can do it just rely on your previous experience.
I have stripped down a number of vintage cameras to the bones including shutter blade straightening and repair/replacement plus successful reassembly, but have never been able to put the Y electro 35 together again because of the bloody washers over the blades: it said "sploing" and off one of them went and was never found again. Besides, I was worried by the resoldering of the wiring of the shutter. Without a carefully drawn plan saying which wire goes where you are lost.
Despite all this I wish you lots of luck with your project, W.

Barronchung
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! Do you remember how to get to the shutter blades? I've removed both the front and rear lenses now, and in the rear I've found a retaining ring which can be removed, but it's not budging easily. Is this what holds the shutter to the lens assembly? If so, I'll figure a way to take that off, otherwise I'll start popping out screws from the front which I don't want to do randomly unless I know for sure one of these will free the shutter :S

Barronchung
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've done it! The rear retaining ring behind the rear lens needs to be removed, and then some screws which hold the shutter assembly, as well some nickel rod which is pierced into a metal rod that cocks the shutter. I'll post some pics of the process when I've finished the repair.. Thanks for the tips!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration