Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

SMC Takumar aperture pin repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » SMC Takumar aperture pin repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eok3
Tinkerer
Username: Eok3

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,

my 50mm 1.4 works fine, except that the aperture pin just floats in and out. it isn't engaging whatever is inside that makes the lens stop down. i am assuming that whatever is in there is stuck. is there any site, or can anyone tell me how to take this apart to attempt to fix it?

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 17

Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe I have downloaded a strip-down procedure for that lens from somewhere on the net. Send me an email by clicking on my user name and follow the link on the bottom of the page.

I am sure it is on my home computer and I can email it to you.

Good luck,

Jan

Jan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gene,

You have the strip-down procedure now and I just wanted to let you know the following:

Make sure that your lens' Auto/Manual ring is set to Auto. If set to manual, the aperture pin will do what you originally described. Does the diaphragm close down when you turn the aperture ring? What camera are you using the lens on? The SMC version of the Takumar has a special tiny pin which disengages the Auto/Manual ring when the lens is used on a full aperture metering Pentax (F, ES and ESII). The ring will work properly when the lens is mounted on any stop-down metering Spotmatic.

Just to make sure that you knew about this....

Good luck,

Jan

Jan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gene,

Have a look at your two lenses from the back. On SMC Takumar, on the surface which mates with the lens mount, at about 3:00 o'clock, you will see a tiny pin. This pin gets pushed in when you mount the lens on an older stop-down metering Spotmatic. The newer open-aperture metering Pentaxes have a recess in their lens mount, which prevents this pin from being pushed in and also blocks the Auto/Manual lever on the lens.

Can you move the Auto/Manual lever from Auto to Manual mode? Also - the rear element of your SMCT can be removed and by extending the lens' focus to the closest distance, you should be able to peek inside at the linkage. I think your problem lies in the tiny pin described above. Make sure that the Auto/Manual lever operates as I am describing. From your description of what the lens is doing, I think that the lens is set to manual. That is what disengages the stop-down pin and makes it feel as if there is nothing behind it. The aperture will close down when you turn the aperture ring of course, because the lens would be in manual mode.

Check that.

Good luck,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration