Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zenith 12XP TTL metering fault Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Zenith 12XP TTL metering fault « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lyndhurst25
Tinkerer
Username: Lyndhurst25

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The TTL metering on my trusty Zenith 12XP seems to have developed a fault. I have had the camera since new (20+ years) and it was my first "proper" camera, so I'd like to repair it.

The metering seems to be essentially working; it's just vastly underestimating the light levels and telling me that everything is underexposed. I can just get both the LEDs flashing together by setting it to 500ASA, 1/60s and pointing it at a bright light.

I'm not sure how these things work, but is the light sensor easily replaceable? I'm presuming that the 1980s Soviet electronics will be quite simple, not too small and amenable to repair?

Pdc5680
Tinkerer
Username: Pdc5680

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can find lots of repair info on Zeniths including metering at www.xs4all.nl/~tomtiger/
Before you start dismantling it consider three points.
1 Have you tried new batteries? I find both LEDs can flash when the batteries are low but not flat.
2 Try adjusting the meter via the small screw on the front below the rewind knob.
3 Why do you need an exposure meter? The sunny f16 rule will take you far. Look it up on a search engine. I admit no one told me about it until I was forty (how mean!)

Lyndhurst25
Tinkerer
Username: Lyndhurst25

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 03:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks very much for the information. I had no idea that there was a screw to adjust the meter hiding there! I have adjusted the camera and it's working fine now.

I had bought already another grubby looking 12XP off ebay for £5 as a source of spares to fix my camera, but now I won't be needing to scrap it. Actually it has cleaned up quite well and seems to be fully working, so now I've got two 12XPs and at that price I'm not complaining!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration