Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Classic Pentax Issues Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Classic Pentax Issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Swamp
Tinkerer
Username: Swamp

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a number of old Pentax, a couple of which are not cooperating. One, a good condition K2, has the ASA ring frozen at 125asa,. Is there a trick to turning the ring?? The other, a ME Super also functioning, but I cannot adjust the mode dial on top of the camera. I am looking for help here as well. The other four, all Spotmatics of various models and a K1000, seem to work just fine, always felt in my bones, all manual was the best, but I do like the ME super and how it feels. It's working in manual, but it is also STUCK in manual mode. Thanks

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 32

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a thought.
Look into the shutter release. You will see the actual button is surrounded by a black ring as with diametrically opposed slots which are there for assembly reasons - of course.
Use fine-pointed pliers in the slots and test if the ring is loose.
(It is a conventional right hand threaded component).

If indeed the ring is loose - this would account for inadequate stroke of the detent button which released the mode dial for rotation.

Swamp
Tinkerer
Username: Swamp

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ethos, I did check the retaining ring earlier and found it to be tight .. I am wondering if it is too tight and possibly loosening it may result in a release of the detent button, as it is, the top of the button is flush with the surface of the retaining ring ... as mentioned in the first post, I am new to these semi-autos and cut teeth 35 years ago with old Pentax and Minolta which were abount as basic as one could get, and I've literally bounced them off mountainsides and like a Timex, they keep on ticking .. thanks for the response ... any thoughts?

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 33

Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. It was worth looking at before delving further.

When the camera's top-plate is removed, the shutter-mode control dial stays with the top-plate. It is not a good idea to attempt disassembly of the dial unless the top plate is first removed. This because there are two parts (one of them a ball-bearing or on some later models a small ballfaced pin) - and an inverted brass "top-hat" which floats inside the shutter release button ( to faciltate cable-release). These are likely to fall into the guts of the camera and then you are in deep trouble.

So to address your "stuck" dial you will have to remove the camera's top-plate. It is nearly midnight here in Australia as I write and I am away for the weekend. So I cannot turn this posting into a step by step guide for top-plate removal.

Somebody else may already have it documented and pass it to you. Next week I will watch this Forum and if you haven't received guidance I will piece it together for you.

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 07:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With regard to the K2, if the exposure compensation is set to anything other than "1x" it is not possible to move the ASA setting ring. Even if it is on 1x, it requires a bit of clever finger work to press the tab whilst rotating the knurled ring as these usually have quite a bit of resistance anyway. Don't be tempted to go mad with lubrication, though!
BTW, whilst I've always shied away from too much automation in cameras, I have a K2 and K2DMD and really enjoy using them (as long as I have the knowledge of a new set of batteries in my pocket!)

Best wishes,
Steve

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration