Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb: aperture needle not functi... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon FTb: aperture needle not functioning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Good_morning
Tinkerer
Username: Good_morning

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon FTb that was handed down from my mom. I love this camera. It really is built like a tank, and I've taken some great photos with it. But recently, when I switched from a regular to a telephoto lens I noticed a problem: the aperture needle on the TTL light meter is no longer responding to the aperture being changed on the ring.

Obviously, I'm pretty sure I monkey'd something up when I switched lens, and rendered the aperture signal coupling lever dysfunctional.

I can still use the camera in every other way, and generally in the lens view can tell that I'm moving my exposure this way or that. (I can also just look in the lens itself and see the aperture opening or squeezing shut.) I can figure in my head about what I need it to be, but I'd really, really like to get back the convenience of my aperture needle so I can use my light meter again.

Pictures of the camera parts I'm talking about are here: http://www.canonfd.com/pdf/ftb.pdf
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben_hutcherson
Tinkerer
Username: Ben_hutcherson

Post Number: 17

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You describe that you can see the aperture opening and closing, and the viewfinder getting dark.

It sounds to me like the stop down mechanism has gotten engaged, as on a normally operating FTb with an FD lens, the aperture stays open until the moment before the shutter opens or if you press in the stopdown mechanism.

With the stopdoown mechanism engaged, the ring will be all the way in the lower right hand corner of the viewfinder, out of the way.

When you remove the lens, can you see a red dot at the bottom of the mirror box? If you do, check the stopdown/self timer lever and see where the small lever on the bottom of it is set. It should be as close as possible to the lens mount.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration