Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How can I remove the top cover of Can... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » How can I remove the top cover of Canonet QL17 ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Keith

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 03:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a QL17 GIII but the shutter doesn't work. I have read that page about removing the covers:
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-30.html

However, I don't know how to remove the both rings at the top. Anyone can help me please?

Thank you!

rick

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To unscrew the ring around the shutter release button, you need something sticky. Sometimes you can just stick some masking tape to it and use the folds of the tape as a handle to twist with; sometimes it works better to take a wooden stick, or a screwdriver handle (the ones with removable shafts) or something similar and glue a piece of rubber (at least 1/16" thick) to one end, and then press this down hard against the ring as you twist to unscrew it. For a bit more power, substitute a piece of 3M double-sided foam tape adhesive for the rubber.

To unscrew the rewind knob, open the back and stick a small screwdriver blade between the 2 sides of the forked end of the shaft so it won't turn; now just flip out the crank on the knob and turn it counterclockwise.

Other than those two, it's just Phillips head screws.

: ) =

Keith

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your reply!
I had successfully open the top cover. Also, the black front cover.
However, what should I do for repairing the shutter?

Thank you!

rick

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your first post; I guess you were talking about the rings on the shutter.

I guess your shutter is not working at all? the most common cause of this is the shutter blades themselves getting glued together with dried lubricant. There is a good discussion of this problem and how to deal with it at https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/canonetblade.html

The front element is a little tricky to remove, but there is a trick that is not noted in the above article: if the front lens retaining ring comes loose as noted in the 3rd from last paragraph, go ahead and remove it and carefully lift off the front glass. Now you can unscrew the rest of the front cell by using a 7/8 inch rubber crutch tip... press in firmly on the front of the cell with the rubber tip and twist counterclockwise. The 7/8" size is important because that is big enough that the rubber does not touch the glass of the second element, and small enough to fit into the metal mount and give you a decent grip.

Once you have the front and/or rear cell off of the shutter, reach in with the point of a small, sharp sewing needle and lift slightly on the edge of the top shutter blade. Probably, this will break the adhesion between the blades and the shutter will immediately fire.

Now proceed with cleaning the blades as described in the article.

good luck!

rick : ) =

Keith

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you rick!

Do you think there is any way to remove the lens retaining ring without using the tools called "lens spanners"? I tried using two small screw drivers but fail to do it....

henry

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Keith, any camera can be taken apart with just about any ol' set of drivers and pliers...and hammer! But the object of us tinkerers is to get a camera working and reassembled looking like it has never been touched. This is why we have so many slightly different tools and make so many special ones. Look in the message archive or in the tool section of this site and you'll get lots of ideas.

We try to one up the tree-huggers slogan: Take only Photographs; Leave Only Footprints. We try to not even leave footprints ...err... fingerprints.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I make most of my spanners out of needle nose pliers. to get to the canonet lens ring, though, you'll have to bend the tips outward by heating them with a propane torch, and then grind them to fit the slots in the ring after the shape is right. you aren't going to get this with a couple of screwdrivers.

John

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a nice Canonet G111 QL17, which works fine...except that the viewfinder is cloudy.
Can anyone advise on how to clean it up please?
Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration