Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic 9 shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta Hi-Matic 9 shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill K.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
I own a minolta hi-matic 9 camera that I purchase used in 1976 in a local camera shop.
It gave me years of great pictures for a so-so photographer like me.
The shutter was sticking once in a while now it doesn't open at all. It was repaired for this problem before in 1990 for what I paid for the camera in '76.
I'm not camera tech and wouldn't know where to start to fix the problem. Just wondering if its worth fixing again or finding a working 1966 model like mine. It would be ashame to throw away a nice camera that gave years of great service.Any advise??? Billy

Scott

Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those are very well-made cameras, so probably nothing is broken. I got some great photos with my Hi-Matic 9, too. Probably the shutter blades just need to be cleaned. For general tips, look at the "blade-cleaning" article elsewhere on this site:

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/canonetblade.html

The Hi-matic 9 is not particularly difficult to take apart and get back together again, but you will need a few basic camera tools. At the very least, you'll need a set of tiny screwdrivers, and the type of adjustable lens spanner with small, flat points, and a can lighter fluid, and a can of compressed air with a thin nozzle-tip (look at the camera or the computer shop).

If you want to minimize disassembly, you can get away with removing only the front part of the lens, and then clean the back lens from the front (with the shutter held open with a "locked" cable release). To get the back lenses off, I think you have to peel back some of the vinyl and remove the whole lens/shutter asssembly from the camera body (which isn't as difficult as you might think).

I think a thin chrome retaining ring has to be unscrewed first, and then the black plastic ring come out, then you can take out the front part of the lens. You don't have to open the shutter mech.

I always make sketches of how things look before I take them apart, or scratch marks here and there to show where parts sat in relationship to one another.

I no longer have the Hi-matic 9 that I repaired, so maybe someone who has one can give you some more specific tips than I can.

Biil K.

Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Scott, What the heck, I'll try to fix it. What do I have to lose its broke anyway.
Yesterday,I did have a camera store look into it. They said it would run between 45.00 - 80.00 bucks to fix.
I looked on e-bay the for last week, they had a couple of cameras like mine. The average starting bid is 9.00 to 15.00 bucks. Top bids were as low as 20.00 for a working hi-matic 9 camera. I'll get the satisfaction of fixing myself.If I can't, I'll keep a watch on eBay for another. Anyone out there with any other advise feel free to post!! Again thanks Scott.

brano

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill,

I have recently repaired Hi-matic 9, same problem.

The article Scott reffered you to is an excellent one, just follow it with a lot of patience.

Pay special attention to photo-cell wires routing, make a sketch before you remove them. Do not forget to set to close focus. Try to stay away from T-shaped release lever of the shutter mech (at 12 hours vhew viewed from front), all small springs that move when shutter is released can be easily damaged if not returned in exact position. I have lost, and later found, a small leaf spring that loads aperture setting ring, you will see its two points through the ring. Apply two tiny drops of contact cement so that it does not fall out when you assemble it back, when finished just take out the dried blob with adhesive tape from the front side.

Brano

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration