Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super shutter not cocking Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax ME Super shutter not cocking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ChuckS

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Pentax ME Super that, once upon a time, got stuck with the mirror locked up and the second curtain not fully down. After reading through this site, I was able to release the second curtain, etc. Now I have another problem.

When I wind the film advance, most of the time, the shutter will not cock. Now and again, it will cock OK, and I can release the shutter on either of the mechanical settings (125X or Bulb).

I have removed the bottom plate, and looked around. I can't tell for sure what would be wrong, but I can see that the grey "pawl" that is supposed to engage with the wind shaft does not engage most of the time when the camera is wound. When this pawl does engage, all is OK. I have looked at the ME Super repair pictures on this site, but am still confused about how I would remedy this problem.

The only other information I have is that often during the wind stroke, there is a sort of "detent" feeling about 3/4 of the way through the stroke, where you can feel and hear a bit of resistance give way, like a part is slipping off of another.

I have a digital camera, and can take photos of what the camera looks like in various states.

Any help I could get to fix this would be much appreciated, as I doubt a camera shop repair would be less than the cost of another second hand body.

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A repair would cost what two working ME Supers might be bought for on ebay. It definitely sounds like the cocking linkage is bent. This linkage can be easily removed by unscrewing the three screws. With it removed you can cock both mirror and shutter to check the mechanical functioning.

Henry

ChuckS

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry,

Thank you for your prompt reply....my next question is how do I identify the "cokiing linkage" and figure out what way to bend it?

Are you referring to the small lever you have labelled as "cocks shutter" over on
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/pentaxmenotes.html

If the cocking linkage is something else, perhaps I could email you my pics from inside the camera.

Apologies if I am a bit dense about all this...I like to tinker but cameras are more "small and prrecision" than most things I work on.

Thank you again for your help.

ChuckS

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should add that the mechanical functioning of the shutter, mirror, etc seems fine in the cases where the shutter does cock correctly....e.g. when you press the shutter release, the mirror and the two curtains fire correctly. I have tested this on the two mechanical settings 125X and B. The batteries are dead and I was going to see if I could make the camera mechanically sound before springing for a new set of batteries.

Henry

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the top picture of that link the linkage I was refering to has already been removed. Basically the linkages should be straight. In another picture on a different page of the same article you'll see the linkage in place.

Remove the linkage and cock the shutter and mirror by hand to see how everything works. This will give you an idea of whether its the linkage not stroking far enough or something else.

Henry

ChuckS

Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, I will give this a try.

MrNov

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The main problem you have is probably cause by a sticking leaver on the side of the mirror box. The leaver holds the mirror box so that the shutter and mirror box can cock properly. to cure the problem you will need to remove the mirror box.

Andy

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration