Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vitessa N 2 shutter cleaning and mirr... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Vitessa N 2 shutter cleaning and mirror gluing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Beba
Tinkerer
Username: Beba

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! I've received vitessa N with Ultron lens and I've came across some problems, as expected.

1. The rangefinder mirror has fallen off. Any advice which glue to use so I can make adjustments of the mirror BEFORE the glue has set, so I can minimize rangefinder adjustmements afterwards?

2. The top button on the combi plunger is missing. What can I use to replace it? Is it vital for locking combi plunger in down position (with doors closed)- the plunger sometimes stays down, but even a light shake makes it pop out. Can I fix this somehow?

3. The shutter speeds are unusable. I must clean the shutter. I'm thinking of taking it off and drowning it in lighter fluid. Is unscrewing the back element from inside the body right way to do it? Or should I go from front? How do I detach it from the barn door mech?

I know this is a big lot of questions, and I will be VERY grateful for ANY input.
I've dug into various shutters and rangefinders for cleaning with (mostly) good results, but this is design which I respect too much. Also, I can't wait to start using it, I fell in love with it immediately when I pull it out off the box.

Thanks very much in advance!

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 252

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure if this is the same model but the Vitessa, Type II, is covered in Tomosy's book 'Restoring the Great Collectables'. He states the shutter can be removed by unscrewing the front lens group and the rear retaining ring. Sounds very conventional.

Beba
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks.
Do you mean conventional for bellow (cause on cameras I've worked on you need to remove the leatherette to unscrew the lens)?

If I understood you right, I have to unscrew the front ring, remove the front of the lens, AND remove the back of the lens, and then take the whole shutter assembly out (I struggle with English terms, not my native language)?
How do I get it do detach from barn door?

I just want as much information before I dig into it.

Thanks again

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 253

Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that is correct. I haven't worked on this camera so perhaps I should scan the article and email it to you? It is only 2 pages.

Beba
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would be great! Thanks very much.

Beba
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The e-mail is hihlik on google.

Beba
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 06:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, this is the third try. I tried to send you a thank you note on email, than here, and both time did not succeed.

Thanks for your help, Gez, the job is now sooooo much easier. It looks like peace of cake.

I can't wait to start. Cheers

Timagal
Tinkerer
Username: Timagal

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all. I am having the same problem as Beba, only four years later on: these cameras never die, they just break a bone once in a while.

I was wondering, Gez or Bebo, could you possibly send that article to me too?

Thank you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration