Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ansco viking/Vario shutter doesn't st... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ansco viking/Vario shutter doesn't stay cocked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jagarch
Tinkerer
Username: Jagarch

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks,

I've got a Ansco Viking 6.3. It's got a Vario Shutter that doesn't stay cocked all the way. When you set the cocking arm, it clicks, but then returns to a center position with the shutter blades halfway open.
I've flushed it with Lighter fluid, which helped it run more smoothly, but it didn't fix the cocking problem. Is a spring broken?
Also, the piece in that the arrow points to in this picture confuses me. Is it supposed to hold the cocking arm when the shutter is cocked? When I cock the shutter, it doesn't move, and therefore the shutter can't be released because it sits over the far end of the shutter release. or is it related to the bulb setting? It seems to move if I cock the shutter while applying pressure to the shutter release.
I've looked at some sites with similar shutters, but mostly they seem to recommend lighter fluid, and none of them mention the shutter not staying cocked.

thanks in advance, and apologies for the terrible picture,

Jacob

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 256

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

please upload a bigger photo (you can use www.imageshack.us for that for example)
Marek

Jagarch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28731509@N06/6347630399/

Here's a much better photo

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 137

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

J: Check out this post & see if it helps!

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/15369.html?1244072771

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 132

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here a picture of a very similar Prontor (dismantled). The tab (see green arrow) should fall into the slit (see red arrow) of the Cocking lever to lock it in its cocked position.

Prontor Cocking Lever

Jagarch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, thanks for your help guys.
Old School, in the post you linked to, the poster says his shutter is missing a spring that fell out. My shutter has that spring, and it appears to be good, so that's not the issue.
Hanskerensky, your picture is very helpful, and this is indeed similar to the Vario. However, the Vario has another piece which fits over the "green arrow" piece, which the fits over the shutter release piece (lower left of your pic). It prevents the shutter from being released. I'm assuming it has something to do with the Bulb setting. This piece also seems to move, being activated by the same slit (red arrow in your pic) as the other piece underneath it. Or, to be more accurate, it's activated by the tab next to that slit.
So as far as I can tell, my shutter has two problems, which might be related: One is the shutter not staying fully cocked, and two is the mystery piece, which prevents the shutter from being fired, unless I move it with my finger.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 134

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jacob, just opened up a Vario and made some images of it. See if you can find any differences with yours.

Vario Shutter Cocked State

There is also another image in that set showing the Uncocked State.

Jagarch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you hanskerensky! That is incredibly helpful.
It appears that my "mystery piece" is intended to prevent the shutter release from being activated after the shutter is fired.
On my shutter, it is both not engaging consistently with the cocking arm, and it is falling down too far over the end of the shutter release lever.
In addition, underneath your cocking arm, there is a long black spring, which is missing from my shutter. I'm guessing this is the piece I need in order to make my shutter stay closed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration