Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fujica ST705w Top disassembly?! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Fujica ST705w Top disassembly?! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Naf456
Tinkerer
Username: Naf456

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 06:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. My name is Nathan.
I Just got hold of my new Fujica ST705w yesterday, however the prism on it had like dead bugs inside it and stuff, so I wanted to clean it.
-Long Story short, I Have scratched the paint off the Frame advance lever trying to get it undone (However I just found out it's attached to the body)
- I pulled out the Film Pin from the film rewind knob causing a spring to un-clip - breaking the camera (the frame advance lever is completely slack because of this)
and now it's just about ready to go in the bin.

The Problem I am having, is I just can't get the left had side off! (the side with the film rewind crank) - And have been going for about 2 hours trying to figure out how to get the right side off so I can fix the camera.

I have been following the ST705 manuals, however there significantly different from the ST705w - which I have.

I just hope someone has a ST705w , they seem quite rare.

Thanks For Your Time.

Nathan.

Naf456
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bump.
I just want some help.
I have taken off the body screws, the shutter release cap, and the rewind crank - yet the top still won't come off?
The Right side, with the shutter release and advance lever is loose , however the other side, with the rewind crank is tightly weld to the body still.
Help?! Please :D

Agchicago
Tinkerer
Username: Agchicago

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey buddy, I'll answer. On the top of the film advance lever is a black round cap. It has to unscrew off (it is a screw). You unscrew it with a "friction tool". Basically you need something about the same diameter, or a little smaller, and tipped with rubber. Press into the black disc and unscrew. You can buy a tool, but anything with a decent sized soft rubber tip will do. Try cleaning the rubber with windex first, it'll make it nice and sticky.

Agchicago
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, if you do a google search, you can find a service manual. I found one awhile ago, I'll try to find it tonight also. Send it to you offline.

BTW, its a great camera, with a very good meter.

Naf456
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry but I think your Thinking about the ST705 - I have the ST705w - Like previously stated , the side with the film advance lever is loose - it's the side with the rewind crank which I'm having problems with - it just won't budge, despite the rewind crank be fully removed.

Agchicago
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I figured the two are almost identical, but I had the wrong side anyway. I'll take a look at mine tonight, see if I remember any trick to getting it off. I also have the ST705W. And I thought I had a service manual somewhere, I'll dig around.

Agchicago
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got it. The chrome plated ring underneath the film rewind knob screws off. See bad pics. It wouldn't come off with just a friction tool, but after very carefully loosening it with tiny needle nose around the middle raised ring, I could spin it off easily. After getting it off, I could see why, it's glued and screwed! You can see the brown line of glue in the pic. Top comes off now. beforeafter

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 322

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, the old Glue-it-and-forget-it method. I don't particularly care for that when dismantling a Japanese made camera.

PF

Naf456
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 02:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I Love You, Thanks! -but I hate fujica - looks like my mornings gone :S

EDIT: is it left or right handed screw thread?

Naf456
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Been going over it for a couple of hours - been using glue remover and have been wrapping tape around my fingers and trying to turn it off with friction but it ain't playing ball.
any tips?
I don't have any small pliers.

Agchicago
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's normal lefty-loosey. You might be able to fashion a friction tool by cutting a washer shape from an old mouse pad, or one of those jar top remover rubber discs, something like that. You'll still need something round and hollow to apply with pressure with, have to get creative.

PF- i agree, not even sure why they put the glue there, or making the whole chrome ring a screw. could have used a chromed washer for show and a regular nut for the go.

Naf456
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have finally managed to do it- I went in with a razor blade to scarp off the glue which was nice.

Anyway - Cleaned the prism , put it back together, played around with it for 10 minutes when the advance lever just got stuck all of a sudden.
Took it apart again - put it back together - it was fine again for 2 minutes when the lever got jammed . now I can't fix it?
it was after I took a shoot - the shutter released but the advance lever is acting like it didn't.
any ideas?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 324

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Naf456, you'll have to take the top off again, and watch the actions of the levers to see where the problem is. You can most likely put the winding lever back on while the top is off to facilitate this.

AgChicago, the Japanese started using glue to cut down on parts cost. It was a very cutthroat industry back when these cameras were made, and any advantage in pricing was sought over quality on some models.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration