Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 shutter screech Again! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon A-1 shutter screech Again! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

G3bill
Tinkerer
Username: G3bill

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 01:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Been searching the forums to find the best and easiest way to stop the screech. It affects the shutter speed noticably from 1/125 to 1/1000. The shutter is erratic in speed and sound, quite obvious that one curtain slows. Some say its the mirror dampner, or gears to mirror. Some say lube from bottom and some say from top? Any thoughts...

Ronnies
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnies

Post Number: 32

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds more serious than just the screech. When mine have had the screech it hasn't affected shutter speeds at all !

Ronnie

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 402

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 05:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've done mine from the top.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1039

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I doubt oiling the bushing in the mirror damper fly wheel is going to completely solve you shutter problems. As Ronnie states your shutter mechanism also requires looking at, a good CLA also appears to be on the table. Any of the routes to the damper flywheel work, I prefer to remove the top and have a clean up also.

G3bill
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the input. Unlike Ronnie's statement, I can't say about the A-1 but my F-1n without electronics had the same problem with the shutter, I removed the bottom and think used WD to drip down a shaft for the curtain if i remember right:-( Some did get on the curtain and after many triggering's of the shutter and wipping the screen it started to work as new at all speeds and without the Swishing noise, just tried it yesterday and still good after quite a few years now. Not going to try it on the A-1 unless someone knows the precise spot to put a couple small drops as I heard on another thread or forum, taking it slow this time. I copied the thread 'Waynemel' posted #127 8/09 thats on the 'top cover removal'. Sounds straight forward. Thanks Glenn, guess its the right way. Been looking for a parts exploded view of A-1, dont remember seeing it in the owners manual, any thoughts where it is?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1040

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Search the archive for A1 top removal (if the one you have found does not mention the following) as it is important to set the viewfinder display switch lever - on top left side of top plate at front edge next to prism - in the correct position. If this is not done you mangle up the switch contacts as the top is pulled off - they will straighten but why damage them in the first place. I do not have my notes to hand so cannot give you the correct placement here, but it is in the archives and has been mentioned by a number of people including myself and no doubt 'Waynemel'

With the top off, the brass flywheel and shaft can be seen by looking down on the top of the right hand body, with a viewpoint slightly from the back top edge - it is 'deep' inside. There are some photos somewhere on the web so have a search around. Once seen, never forgotten.

G3bill
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn, the first thing said on the repost of removing top is to position switch so the white dot is showing (which is the on position for the display). Too bad this info isn't all in one place. spend more time searching than anything. Really appreciate the help. Bill

G3bill
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, kick me:-) I deviated from the plan a bit. I removed the bottom cover then sprayed some WD in a small cap and added a couple drops of fine oil, maybe 40or50:1? used a toothpick and fed a bit in the area of the shaft with tinny drum on top, think its the curtain shaft but no access to the other one. I worked the shutter alot then a little more and then it got worse then worked as normal after a few more snaps. Shutter speeds looked good visually but Still have the noise, swish sound and think it could be from the other curtain shaft side but more likely its the mirror returning to position, is this what the brass drum is connected to under the top deck? Or 2 different problems?

I should say I got this A-1 on ebay of course, last week. Its in excellent condition or would have sent it back, looks like no ware in the gears or anywhere actually. Didn't have a motor drive so not used much. I do have the MA Motor drive to go with it though, nice set if I can get it to work properly, don't like that noise at all. The old F-1 is a Monster compared to the A-1. B..

Ronnies
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnies

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 01:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try these instructions for getting the top off.

http://looscanons.com/tutorials/tutA1/index2.html

I 'fixed' my squeak from the bottom though.

Ronnie

G3bill
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, What a great site, its going to stay in my favorites. Ron I did as much as I dare from bottom, dont want oil on the electronics or plastics. I removed the bezel around the lens mount and think theres enough space to get a seringe over the spot that needs oil. I'll try that tonight perhaps and post if it works (it will be guess work getting the oil to drip in the right spot), if not tops coming off.
Glenn, this camera is so clean I dont really need to clean any viewer glass or blow it out otherwise I'd remove top right now.

Q. Is there a special grease most use for camera gears, I have a light weight electronics tuner lube that wont attack plastic and was thinking to use that for the gears behind bottom cover, or is white moly better? The factory grease looks dark grayish silver, very thin coat.

G3bill
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ronnie I did also, lol, well got a 1 1/2" needle/seringe and ground down the point so as not to stab a wire then bent about 1/4" of the tip so oil would drip and not come back at me. From what i saw on the LoosCanons site I tried to drip it in the same spot. went through a opening just 1/2" below and to left of the C of Canon name. I dripped it from a few spots and tried the shutter many times, it did get much better but still had a swishing sound every once in a while, kept adding oil:-( , I thought screw it! must have put in 4cc, and at the end used just the Zoom oil without WD. I did get some oil on the front screen and sides, alot on the bottom but felt ok cause I wasn't getting oil in the electronics on top. That pin on the left bottom of lens mount, I put some oil in there with camera upside down for a few seconds and flipped it back upright. It got even better, went out for about 4 hours and tried it with no noise at any speed. Its kind of a mess this way and if I didn't have so many project going on would have been better to take the top off I'm sure. The mirror is reacting much quicker like it should. So I'l probably be cleaning oil a couple more times after setting over night, I'll find the right grease to use on gears and be done for now. Thanks for all the help. Bill

G3bill
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS. I don't recommend what I did in previous post #7. Some how oil came in contact with focusing screen seal and spread the oil to run in the area where mirror is. Too much time to remove oil but shutter and mirror are working as new. If theres a next time I'll take the top off...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration